Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-04-2012, 10:14 AM

Default what happend with sulfur hatch???

basically i consider it never happened....very light and over by early to mid may.past years where much better.
Also in completely different topic from 61 bridge down river is behaving like it does in august .Shad fry balls.warm water.more algae,etc,etc
Essentially 2 months ahead of schedule...
interested in your observations /opinions.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truchin View Post
basically i consider it never happened....very light and over by early to mid may.past years where much better.
Also in completely different topic from 61 bridge down river is behaving like it does in august .Shad fry balls.warm water.more algae,etc,etc
Essentially 2 months ahead of schedule...
interested in your observations /opinions.
Obama, nuff said.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:54 PM

Haha.........

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 06-04-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Obama, nuff said.
Exactly.....
Old 06-04-2012, 08:07 PM

It was pretty rough last Friday. Muddy water came through, and everything was shutdown. Picked up a few on streamers, but nothing like usual.

I wish I was able to fish more right now, but way too many things on my plate. I personally enjoy the summer and fall fishing on the Grinch. The crowds that descend on the river for the sulfur hatch are gone, and the big fish are sipping tiny midges.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 06-04-2012, 09:36 PM

I noticed the water was off color a bit on Sunday. When the generators came on, it really got off color. I have not spent enough time on the river at full generation to know whether or not that is normal. Does full generation color the water up that much or was it due to the earlier rain upstream? We floated Peach Orchard to 61 bridge in the new boat on Sunday. Caught decent numbers and a few good fish, but once the water got up. it was over. Still, a very nice day.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
I noticed the water was off color a bit on Sunday. When the generators came on, it really got off color. I have not spent enough time on the river at full generation to know whether or not that is normal. Does full generation color the water up that much or was it due to the earlier rain upstream? We floated Peach Orchard to 61 bridge in the new boat on Sunday. Caught decent numbers and a few good fish, but once the water got up. it was over. Still, a very nice day.
I think we chatted Sunday(?) I was in the blue/aluminum boat with a friend.

Coal Creek was still running cloudy Sunday and dumping sediment in the river. Also; it was very nasty Saturday and I expect most of that sediment just piled up below I-75 Bridge with the low flows. I notice that the pulses and short generations are not clearing the river and our basically just re-floating the sediment.

You can notice this action by watching the deeper holes behind shoals. They are normally clear and dark. However; they have been collecting sediment and appear lighter right now. Also; the fish seem to have moved from these key feeding lies to above them and at the bottom of tail-outs.

This is bad for the bug activity and I suspect it has hindered the sulphur hatches. However; it does allow you to present your flies a bit more stealthy.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-05-2012, 10:40 PM

Madison,
yes, I remember talking to you . Good to meet you. I was hoping that the river wasn't like that everytime they generated. Like I said, after the water came up, that was pretty much it, except for a few spots where we saw some good fish rise in the late afternoon. Guess we were the last ones at the take out. Will try it again soon up there.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:53 PM

We had really bad sediment years due to similar crap flows in the late 90's and it virtually eliminated the sulfurs for about 5 years.

I haven't been on the river since mid march, as there have been other things in the fishing world occupying my time, so I may not be 100% up to speed on current river conditions.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
Madison,
yes, I remember talking to you . Good to meet you. I was hoping that the river wasn't like that everytime they generated. Like I said, after the water came up, that was pretty much it, except for a few spots where we saw some good fish rise in the late afternoon. Guess we were the last ones at the take out. Will try it again soon up there.
If you fish PO from I-75 Bridge down; you have to be mindful of the previous days' weather. If it has stormed or rained in the Coal Creek Watershed; then it will be cloudy in that area. It usually dissipates in 1-2 days when the river is generating at a higher cfs rate than current. Also; I do not enjoy getting caught up on the front end of the flow as it is currently full of all kinds of hydra. If you are going to fish through a generation; it is good to hold up for an hour and have lunch to let the junk push on through...Then float and throw close to the bank and work the inside bends.
to choose, to respond, to change.”