Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 06-18-2012, 12:22 PM

Default Suggestions needed

I'm taking a friend of mine on his first backcountry fishing trip. He's also pretty new to backpacking as well but I'm confident he can hike 5-7 miles...nothing more though. I would like to stay at the same site for two nights. I am thinking about three possible destinations and need a little general info regarding species, difficulty, etc. on a few of them.

Cataloochee area. #39, #40, or #41. Species? size? Lots of water to fish? What are the campsites like?

Noland/Forney area. Same questions as above. I'm looking at #62, #63, #64, or #71. I did do a backpacking trip down Forney once before but never fished the area. Is #71 the one with the big chimney?

I'm also considering #23 because I've fished that area a few times and have had great luck there.

Or is there somewhere I haven't considered that you all would suggest.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 12:37 PM

Benintenn,

You have listed some interesting options and i will be interested myself in what responses you recieve for some of these Camp Sites.

I have not fished Cataloochee area but hope someone familiar with this area responds. Looks like a neat area.

From what you listed my vote would have to be CS 71 and would highly recommend pushing it just a little farther and consider CS 70.

Good luck
Old 06-18-2012, 02:00 PM

In the area of #39 you will catch a mixture of Bows/Brookies. the further you go up any of the streams in the area, the fewer Bows you will catch. Below 39, there may be some browns in the mix too, although I don't know how far down (like all the way to the frontcountry site or what).

71 is the CCC site with the big chimney. Around 71 it should be a mix of browns and Bows, go up to 70 and above and you may start reaching the brookies, I know the brookies are above 69.

If I personally were doing forney, I would be tempted to go up to 70 and stay there for two nights. The hike from 71 to 70 isn't very far or difficult and then you have the option of fishing below 70, above 70 up to 69 or even exploring up Jonas Creek if you want a little more less pressured water (although casting conditions will be much tighter)

Haven't been to 40 or 41 or Noland Creek so I'll defer to others on these sites.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:45 PM

Thank you for the suggestions, guys. I'll try to find some info on Noland campsites and other Cataloochee campsites elsewhere.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:58 PM

I love #39 and have camped there 5-6 times in the past 2 years. I have wanted to venture over to the other side #40 - #41 but have yet to do it. I really can't add anything about #39 that NDuncan did not already say.

I was at Forney last week. I like it, but go up and way away from the lake if you don't want to see company. We stayed at #74,never again, #71 would be the closest to the lake I would get.

I have never fished Noland.