Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-13-2012, 06:32 PM

Default Early and Late fishing

Some of Byrons fishing reports have said the best fishing will be early or late in the day. I know I will be fishing early for sure since I am naturally an early riser. I always tell people I don't want to waste vacation time sleeping .
What I want to ask is do you change your tactics at all from early in the AM to late afternoon or evening ? Given similar conditions of course.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:30 PM

Muskrat,

I am sure you could receive a wide variety of answer for your question.

Historically for me conditions seem to change from earily morning to afternoon so my tactist can change as well.

For example many times earily moring can be cooler allowing for nymph (Sub-surface) fishing being a good choice. Later in the day temperitures can rise and terrestrials start flying can be a great opportunity to switch to dry flys. So fishing nymphs or fishing drys offer their own tactics to use properly.

Now that is about the most basic answer you could receive but is still a good starting point to work from. I hope my answer was not to generic and hope this helps in your information gathering.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:11 PM

Mac gave an excellent answer. I will only add that it depends on what streams you are fishing (assuming in the Park) and their altitude. High elevation streams will fish best from mid-morning on. Low elevation streams may fish best in the early morning this time of year because they are at their coolest temperature for the day. Late evening is good because that's when most of the yellow stonefly action will be...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 06-15-2012, 02:26 PM

Muskrat, I have listed all of the reasons that fish don't bite, per my grandad. I would print these off, laminate to protect from getting wet, and putting in your fly gear somewhere. I think it will prove to greatly enhance your chances.

- Too hot
- Too cold
- Too windy - fish spooked
- No wind - water too still
- Drought - water levels too low
- Water levels too high
- Just rained
- Getting ready to rain
- Raining
- Too early in day
- Too late in day
- Full moon