Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

View Poll Results: Your description of Park staff's ability to answer your fishing questions?
Extremely knowledgeable 0 0%
Very knowledgeable 2 11.76%
Somewhat knowledgeable 8 47.06%
Not knowledgeable, but got assistance from other staff 2 11.76%
Not knowledgeable and did not offer to get assistance 4 23.53%
I was not able to find a staff person I could ask 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2012, 12:39 PM

Default Visitor Center Fishing Smarts

When you LAST asked a staff member at a Visitor Center about fishing in the Park, which of the options best describes that person's knowledge of the subject, or willingness to ask for help? (If you wish to comment, please be considerate. Many of the persons are unpaid volunteers or interns.)
Old 06-16-2012, 01:40 PM

I talked to a lady that gave me a map and circled some hot spots for me. I was pretty happy with the experience
Old 06-17-2012, 08:26 PM

Default It's always been that way

The reason I work my first book was at the suggestion of an older lady (seemed old in those days...), that said to me, "Son, if you want a guide book to fishing park waters, you will need to write if yourself. At the time I was not aware of Joe Manley's book. So that's how that happened.

Speaking of Joe, I found some old notes I took with him years ago. Has anyone heard anything about Manley and Willis King stocking Forge Creek with cutthroat trout? Manley said the gene from the stocking where still evident in the creek into the 1960s.

Last edited by Byron Begley; 06-19-2012 at 03:50 PM..
Old 06-18-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kirk View Post
Speaking of Joe, I found some old notes I took with him years ago. Has anyone heard anything about Manley and Willis King stocking Forge Creek with cutthroat trout? Manley said the gene from the stocking where still evident in the creek into the 1960s.
There are fish with more than a little cutthroat heritage in LR as well. I have no idea as to the history but those brilliant red slashes are hard to miss...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 06-18-2012, 02:36 PM

Easy on Steve. If it wasn't for him and alot of his work, we wouldn't be fishing for broot trout in the park. I've personally worked elbow to elbow with him and found him to be a dedicated preserver of our natural heritage and cared deeply about the Park.
Regards,
Jedidiah Green
Old 06-18-2012, 04:16 PM

I think very highly of all the fisheries staff, which was not even the topic. I am not at all sure where this thread is headed, but it certainly isn't where I had intended.

Paula, since it doesn't appear I can do so, please close the poll... and perhaps lock this thread. I think we have sufficient data to say the visitor center staff is doing a reasonably good job assisting anglers or would be anglers.

I'm finally getting to fish out of Smokemont next week and may be posting an actual thread about fishing for a change for me. I'm swearing off this kind. I much prefer cool clear water over being in hot water.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:46 PM

Default More often than not :)

I obtain information from LRO and the folks there. I have spoken with a few folks in the various visitor centers that seemed somewhat knowledgeable. One fellow was especially so and on a couple of occasions we conversed at length. One young lady I spoke to at the Dollywood kisok was a bit full of herself and obnoxious, perhaps and age issue or maybe just pride.

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton