Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-22-2012, 03:03 PM

Default Last spring fishing report?

I've been watching with dread as water levels have fallen and Byron's "fishing speedometer" has gone from "excellent" towards "slow". I fish the NC side of the park, and the water levels have generally held up better there than the Little River daily fishing report would indicate. There has been a lot of storm activity over the past month on the NC side of Clingman's dome, and often I'd see the fishing report showing dismal water levels at Little River, only to find high stained water when I'd walk in and check my favorite NC stream.

I had high hopes last Thursday night when I watched thunder-showers hit Bryson City. I canceled work plans and resolved to make one last hike in to some waters above 3000 feet, at least 4 miles in on foot, for a final fishing send-off to spring. I set off before 8 am and hit my jumping in spot just after 10:30. Water levels were good when I saw the creek. The trail leaves the river at the place I decided to put in and doesn't show back up for about 2 miles. Once in the stream-bed, you are fully committed. I made one mistake as I set off upstream and left my lunch sitting on the boulder where I geared up. I wouldn't see it again for 6 hours. Small price to pay for a chance at prime fishing.

I tied on what has been my staple for spring fishing - small yellow stimulator trailed by an unweighted green weenie. In the first few pools, the green weenie immediately went to work.

There was no shortage of water for a nice float of the fly.

After the first few fish, the action slowed, and I made what turned out to be the day's best decision by tying on an #18 bead head prince under the dry. Next cast, hook-up! Followed by numerous others.

This guy looked mad at being pulled from the stream...

The beadhead kept producing....

At one point, I felt I was being watched......

About one pm, I stopped for a swig of water for lunch. After this fine meal, it was dry fly time. The stimulator got attacked time and again by fish ranging from 5 inches with occasional beauties in the 10-11" range. This dark rainbow took the dry in a deep pool that may never see the sun. The tippet to the dropper scratched his side as I lifted him from the water for a pic and the release. Sorry about messing up his coloration....

This was his fat cousin.

And an uncle on the mother's side....

Finally, I caught a small brown, but never saw hide or tail of a spec.

This deep pool gave up four small rainbows.

The action got better and better as it approached 4 pm, despite few real bugs coming off. When I saw the trail come back streamside, I reeled up and headed back for that turkey sandwich! Luckily I'd left it in the shade. Then, with a 2 hour hike out, I made a few final casts and headed for the barn. That night, I had a double helping of lasagna and said goodbye to spring conditions. Hopefully we'll get a few good afternoon showers soon.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:43 PM

Those rainbows look very nice for the park. I am envious! Good report and thanks for sharing!
Old 06-22-2012, 08:15 PM

Slipstream, haven't had the opportunity to meet you - absolutely excellent post. Thank You!!!
Question: I am new the the fly so please entertain. With the #18 BHP what would the size of yellow stimulator would be needed to keep from sinking as well. Your advice would greatly be appreciated.

Breck
Old 06-23-2012, 12:06 PM

I'll try and give a thoughtful answer. The easy reply would be to go a size or two smaller with the dropper. Size 16 or 18 nymph for a 14 dry.

However, I'll make the argument, at least for the tumbling pocket water that I mostly fish, that the size difference is not critical. I often fish larger and heavier droppers below a dry if I need to use them, with good success.

First, I almost always fish a dropper under my dry. Why? First, of course, it doubles (or triples) your chance of catching a fish, You're checking out all portions of the water column. Second, my reflexes on setting the hook on the dry are fading as I age. The dropper serves as my back-up. How many times have I watched a fish smash my dry, set the hook, and then I notice that I'm playing the fish attached to the dropper. When I bring him to hand, the dropper is in the fish's mouth, or hooked on the outside of the scissors or lip. How did this happen? When the fish struck the fly, I missed the hook-set, but the dropper tippet running through the fish's mouth then brought the nymph into the mouth and the hook stuck. Is it fair? I don't know, but it's fish on. Of course, the hook also catches them in the nose, fin or tail. That's why it's important to fish barbless.

Now back to the question of dry size and dropper size. Let's start with dry. Early season, it may not matter much because you're catching everything on the nymph. Go large with the dry, because it's just a bobber. Later, the dry starts working and size becomes important. People always say "match the hatch" but here in the Smoky's there may not be bugs hatching when you get to the stream. What size do you start with? It's always a trade-off, big works better for the angler. You can see it better in funny light conditions and it floats better. Smaller generally catches more fish. The most common dry fly I see hatching in late spring is the yellow sally, and most of these are size 18. You know your fly is too large when you start getting the "tail slap" from fish. You think he's rising to the fly, but he's really only mocking and taunting you. The lower and clearer the water, and the later in the season, the smaller I'll go. 16 or 18 is a good starting point.

For small flies to work in tumbling water, they need to be bushy and float well. Pick patterns like caddis, stimulators, and bushy parachutes with lots of hackle. Foam flies and parachute posts tied with synthetics also help. I pore through the bins at the fly shop and look for the beefiest samples of a pattern. Leave the wispy flies to the tailwater guys.

So if I get to the stream and start with a 16 dry, what size dropper? I don't worry too much. It can be a big bead-head worm or a small zebra midge. Why doesn't it matter? First, because the casts and drifts are short. When the fly hits the water, it may only need need to travel five feet or so for a few seconds in order to get through the sweet spot of the run. The dropper just doesn't have time to drown the dry. Second, the dropper is not exerting pure downward force on the dry. Cast a green weenie a watch it travel with your dry. The water current pulls your dropper along horizontally, often ahead of the dry. Your pair of flies will travel in tandem through the run before the dropper has time to drown your dry. Keep in mind this is for fishing pocket water and not still pools or big rivers.

When I take new folks fishing, I always rig them with a dry-dopper, and live with a few more tangles in hopes of catching more fish. The number one cause of the dry drowning or going under has nothing to do with the dropper. It's excess line and leader left on the water, that gets trapped by current and pulls the dry under. Once I show them how to hold line off the water and leave just the fly and a bit of tippet on the surface, or make a mend to keep line from dragging, the dry floats well and the strikes start coming.

A final thought is to keep the dry fly in good condition. I preen and take care of my dry fly more than my teenage daughter messes with her hair. And that's a bunch. If it's not floating in a bubbly riffle, my dry is in the dessicant or I'm checking that the hackles are sticking the right way. I want it to float well the first time I hit each hole, because that's the best time to get a strike.

Of course this is all subjective opinion. There are better fishermen than me on this forum that may do the opposite of these suggestions and catch more fish. That's what I love about fly fishing. We can keep learning and changing our techniques to fit the day's conditions. Sorry for the long-winded answer.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:47 PM

Great post Slipstream and very nice fish. Thanks for the advice for us novices!