Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-22-2012, 01:40 PM

Smile Happy Dace are here again

I finally got a chance to fish the park on Wednesday. It had been since Mem day weekend that I had fished and was going through some serious Smokies withdrawl

Hit LRO on the way in. They had my reel fixed back from Orvis. I fell on it 6 weeks ago and bent the spool in. If that wasn't stupid enough, I compounded the injury by making an attempt to fix it. I saw where it was bent in and thought I could simply bend it back out with a pair of vice grips. My buddy said, "That's cheap pot metal, don't do that", but I didn't listen and it snapped a piece right off. Now I think I'm out a spool, but unfortuately there are none to be found as Orvis pulled my model off the market. Paula and Daniel said to send it in for repair anyway, and I'm sure glad I did. $18 with shipping and I got a brand new (well Paula said reconditioned) reel.

I told Paula to harass Byron about not having his T-shirts on the website after he was pimping them on his fishing report a few days earlier. She informed me, he was doing that as we spoke. That boy's on top of everything

I was weird to see Bill there on a Wed, so Freddy & I picked his brain a bit. After expressing some frustration with the SoHo (abbrev is just for Waterwolf), he showed how not only is he a better fisherman then us, but also managed to insult our skills while still being kind and full of class. We had originally planned to hit a local Brookie creek, but with the water so low we decided to try a new stream that mainly gets overlooked (No Jay it wasn't your stream, it had a much worse shuttle).

We arrived at the creek to find the water EXTREMELY LOW. At least the Rhodo was blooming

In just a minute of so i had this guy hooked. Here's you first fish of the day. A monster for sure. Not sure what kind of fish it is. Would this be considered a dace also?

]

Here is a shot of Freddie working some water lined by the blooming Rhodo. Shot isn't the best, sorry

I remember these guys from the Lynn Camp work last year. Apparently my voice carries real well as we shouted "Dace" during the shocking leading Matt Kulp to poke a bit of fun at me.

I thought up to this time that maybe I was fishing trout water, but it turned out they were few and far between

Finally Freddie landed this guy

I, on the other hand just caught more of these guys

This day wasn't turning out to be too much of a fishing adventure. Finally Freddie caught a nice one in some fast water at a head of a nice pool. He taped 10 1/4 inches and was a real nice fish considering the size of creek we were on.

We soon made it back to our car and decided fishing this stream was not worth investing any more time. After a drive that seemed like forever we hit the Middle Prong on the way out. Freddie said something about it being Yellowhammer Time, and I decided to fish one below my neversink. First cast landed me this beauty and offered a bit of redemption

I fished for another 20 minutes of so, but only managed to miss one, and to scare another

Better luck next time, pray for rain, and I guess that's why they call it fishing
Old 06-22-2012, 04:17 PM

Looks like a good day. I'm not sure what those fish are, but I call them dace, the other one I call a horny head.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:41 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish4wildtrout View Post
Looks like a good day. I'm not sure what those fish are, but I call them dace, the other one I call a horny head.
Yeah that's what Freddie's girlfriend calls him too

Sorry I couldn't resist - sometimes I just a little boy in my humor
Old 06-23-2012, 07:09 AM

duckypaddler,
Excellent post and picture set! Thanks for sharing...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-23-2012, 10:03 AM

Default Dice?

The old timers were big on thinking that dace were a key bait fish. Google "dace pattern" for Creek Chub Bait Co. Off the top of my head I am thinking that Heddon and Shakespeare had "dace patterns" as well. Even in those days of lure making, the rule was "Monkey See, Monkey Do." Whether dace pattern finished lures were or were not all that effective is unknown to me, but if you google to see a few, you have to admit they are pretty stunning to look at.
CCBC had dace available on most of its lures for decades. It is most common in the Injured minnow series and their relatively obscure fly rod baits. I had Dingbat in dace, and a during the 1930s hardware store chain in Kentucky “special ordered” side-hook Saragossa Minnows in dace. These are pretty tough to find examples. They are almost as rare as CCBC Friday Night Specials, where the painters at the factory took rejected wooden baits and painted them as they chose. Sometime back before I my intervention (to stop me from collecting old lure) I had an Injured Minnow that was air brushed signed by all of the ladies on the line at that time at the Garrett plant.