Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-28-2012, 08:21 AM
MadisonBoats's Avatar
MadisonBoats MadisonBoats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norris, TN
Posts: 1,860
Post Clinch River Report: [June] Wrap-Up

The Clinch has been fishing well for most of June. I am still seeing a few adult sulphurs hatch sporadically. Also; there have been some great small-black caddis hatches on the upper end of the river on cold mornings.

Water temps are consistent:
(My favorite temp. zone for fishing breaking out of their feeding lies is 55-60)
48-49 Deg. Upper Tailwater - until the fog burns off.
55 Mid-Tailwater
*Not sure about the lower end.

I have produced consistently on:
  • #18 black thread/copper wire midges with 3/32 gold tungsten beads
  • #16 Chimarra Caddis Larva [Simple Larva] (Honey Colored Body+Clear Rib Body, Auburn Head). Very similar to this pattern- http://vimeo.com/35720004
  • Just about any #14-16 wet fly
  • Of-course, streamers are fabulous during pulses and water movement.
*Some points to remember.
  • Small/Simple knots are key during slack-water presentation of small flies. I like to tie up several flies with tippet and put them in a leader wallet. Saves on time and helps by tying the knots at home.
  • Fluorocarbon Tippet earns its keep this time of year.
  • Limit false casts and extend your drifts. Also; slow drag your retrieve before recasting.
  • I have been fishing most of the time without indicators and using tight-lining to control the presentation. Also; I add a few slight bumps of the line (1-2") slight tugs to illustrate the midge swimming and to entice strikes.
  • If you are fishing shallow water ~1-2'; squat down in the water and present closer. It will open the fish up and keep them from getting edgy. You will notice a difference if you give this a solid try...
Hope this helps some of you have a more enjoyable experience on the water...
Blessings,
SM
__________________
“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
power
to choose, to respond, to change.”



Last edited by MadisonBoats; 06-29-2012 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: added bead detail
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-28-2012, 11:22 AM
David Knapp's Avatar
David Knapp David Knapp is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Crossville, TN
Posts: 2,177
Default

Great information here Shawn! I've been thinking about giving the Clinch a try sometime soon. I haven't fished it in years which is too bad because it really is a good fishery. Do you anticipate it to continue fishing well or are the summer doldrums taking a toll?
__________________
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
contact: TroutZoneAnglers at gmail dot com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-28-2012, 10:17 PM
MadisonBoats's Avatar
MadisonBoats MadisonBoats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norris, TN
Posts: 1,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
Great information here Shawn! I've been thinking about giving the Clinch a try sometime soon. I haven't fished it in years which is too bad because it really is a good fishery. Do you anticipate it to continue fishing well or are the summer doldrums taking a toll?
David, It seems to be fishing normal. However; the fish size and school density have been a little low. Most of the larger fish are sitting down during the hot periods of the day. However; the dinks are always hitting. As far as I can tell; it is typical summer fishing. I usually try to get off the river by noon when it is this hot.
__________________
“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
power
to choose, to respond, to change.”



Last edited by MadisonBoats; 06-29-2012 at 06:18 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-29-2012, 12:25 PM
ChemEAngler's Avatar
ChemEAngler ChemEAngler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 1,135
Default

Had plans of going bright and early this morning. However, two sick kids up lots during the night quickly put a stop to that agenda... Maybe I can get back on the water sometime before winter. This is the least I have fished in probably 10 years.
__________________
Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-02-2012, 08:17 AM
cockeye valdez cockeye valdez is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 108
Default Chimarra Caddis Larva

Shawn, is this the traditional orange, yellow under body with brown head ? How do you fish it ? It appears that it would be effective in skinny water behind a dry fly.
c.v.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-03-2012, 07:15 AM
MadisonBoats's Avatar
MadisonBoats MadisonBoats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norris, TN
Posts: 1,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeye valdez View Post
Shawn, is this the traditional orange, yellow under body with brown head ? How do you fish it ? It appears that it would be effective in skinny water behind a dry fly.
c.v.
CV,
I have been fishing it both deep and shallow (with small indicator). It seems like the best results come when it is extended downward and the fly has started to tail out and rise.

As for the color; I tend to go lighter on the body color and wrap with clear rib. Also; take a light brown marker and lightly brush areas of the body to make it look more natural. I just color my thread with a brown marker for tying the head. A good variation is to add a couple legs just behind the head.

If you have a fast flowing seam to fish; put some lead wrap or slip shot several feet above the fly and let it drift in the seem. Be patient and start at the top of the seam and slowly letting line out to work the length of the seam. Pull it back the same way. *This technique works great for those early morning starts on colder water and during the heat of the day when some of the larger fish have sat down.

  • I like to use these twiston sinkers to keep from snagging hydra every presentation.
http://www.basspro.com/Twistons-Line...0225212/148944

  • Another great option is to using a sinking leader insert (5-6') between your fly line and leader. It works fabulous for presenting flies in seams when you are not using an indicator. They are usually closed looped and easy to install on the water. Also; they help with presenting light streamers as well.
__________________
“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
power
to choose, to respond, to change.”


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-03-2012, 08:31 AM
cockeye valdez cockeye valdez is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 108
Default uni-flex ?

Thanks Shawn,
I looked on line last evening for uni-flex and could not locate a source. I was at Little River and found uni-floss but it is not the same. Do you have any suggestions ? Also, could you post a pic of your bug with legs ? I like to fish with the down and across method especially on the Clinch early mornings and would like to try the Chimarra caddis larva.
Thanks for you explanation.
c.v.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-07-2012, 06:40 AM
MadisonBoats's Avatar
MadisonBoats MadisonBoats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norris, TN
Posts: 1,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeye valdez View Post
Thanks Shawn,
I looked on line last evening for uni-flex and could not locate a source. I was at Little River and found uni-floss but it is not the same. Do you have any suggestions ? Also, could you post a pic of your bug with legs ? I like to fish with the down and across method especially on the Clinch early mornings and would like to try the Chimarra caddis larva.
Thanks for you explanation.
c.v.
CV,
Just use some fishing line for your wrap and add a few coats of cement.
__________________
“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
power
to choose, to respond, to change.”


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-16-2012, 02:51 PM
bhrt bhrt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norris
Posts: 29
Default

Spent a few hours below Millers Saturday morning. Got 2 on the line within 20 minutes which is usually a bad sign (for me).

First was a nice size rainbow that jumped 3-4 times before he broke me off at the tippet / leader connection. Next was a 8" brookie - nice color but he didn't put up hardly any fight. Tried to take a picture but my camera was set to video mode and by the time I changed it to stills the little dude wiggled free.

As the water finished coming down my luck dried up as well. Missed a few subtle takes but that was it.

Both fish came after I let the fly drift directly below me and had started to retrieve (thanks for the tip S. Madison). I was going without an indicator and struggled to keep a tight line whenever I fished up or across.

When I got back to the road there were 7 other cars parked in the clearing! Busy morning but everyone was kind enough to stay in their own area.

Coolest experience of the morning. As I was retrieving for the 1,000th time, a blue heron landed near the bank, took a couple steps and stabbed the water, coming up with a good size fish in his beak. Another heron flew down after him and he took off, fish dangling out his mouth the entire time.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Wilson10's Avatar
Wilson10 Wilson10 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Clinton, TN
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhrt View Post
Spent a few hours below Millers Saturday morning. Got 2 on the line within 20 minutes which is usually a bad sign (for me).

First was a nice size rainbow that jumped 3-4 times before he broke me off at the tippet / leader connection. Next was a 8" brookie - nice color but he didn't put up hardly any fight. Tried to take a picture but my camera was set to video mode and by the time I changed it to stills the little dude wiggled free.

As the water finished coming down my luck dried up as well. Missed a few subtle takes but that was it.

Both fish came after I let the fly drift directly below me and had started to retrieve (thanks for the tip S. Madison). I was going without an indicator and struggled to keep a tight line whenever I fished up or across.

When I got back to the road there were 7 other cars parked in the clearing! Busy morning but everyone was kind enough to stay in their own area.

Coolest experience of the morning. As I was retrieving for the 1,000th time, a blue heron landed near the bank, took a couple steps and stabbed the water, coming up with a good size fish in his beak. Another heron flew down after him and he took off, fish dangling out his mouth the entire time.

Those heron make it look so easy don't they? It amazes me the size fish they take. I've seen them with some large ones, but never been able to get a good picture.
__________________
Adam
awilson1010@gmail.com

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:31 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.