Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-27-2012, 11:22 AM

Default 6/26 Sams Creek

The forum has been kinda dead the past couple of weeks and fishing reports have been sparse, maybe because of the heat or whatever, but anyway here is a report.

Went fishing up on Sams yesterday evening afterwork with Jason (JayB) and we got up to the parking lot at about 5:30 and started hiking in. We passed another angler coming down the manway who had fished Thunderhead from Long Branch up to the lower falls on Sams and he said that the fishing had been somewhat slow, but that he had caught 11, and that the green weenie was the doing well as well as a BHPT.

We stopped at one enticing deep hole where we could see the brookies cruising and feeding and although we had planned on going much further, we couldn't not fish it. Unfortunately, we only got a couple of hits, I got an immediate hit on the dry (yellow never sink) and several delicate tugs on the dropper (pink weenie). Jason tried a streamer deep and got a couple of hits, but nothing to hand.

We then headed a good ways up before we started fishing (about 1/2 way between the 2nd and 3rd crossings)

The fishing was indeed slower than usual, but every good hole usually produced one fish, or at least a strike. But also often after the first hit/strike/fish, the run or hole or pool shut down completely.

My First of the day.

Jason working a pool

Another decent sized brookie. Almost every fish I caught was on the dropper, the dry received very little attention.

So at the end of the evening, I decided to try one last cast in the last few minutes when you could still see the dry and this guy nailed the dropper:

10" Bow

Within about a minute of landing him, it was too dark to see the dry, and I decided to end on a high note.

Good evening to be out there.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:53 AM

It looks like a fun evening.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:52 PM

Very nice report. Hard to beat a fishing trip with a friend.
Thanks for bringing a little action to the forums....lord knows I haven't been responsible for any.

Nice rainbow too.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:21 PM

NDuncan,
Great report and nice to see someone is still fishing. I fished Sam's right before Troutfest started and loved it. Would you mind telling me how long your dropper was from your dry down to the green/pink weenie? Did you use split shot or weighted weenies?
Thanks,
Jed
Old 06-27-2012, 03:44 PM

I didn't use any split shot or anything in the pink weenie but they did have a gold colored bead head, and that's all the weight I used. The distance from the dry to the dropper is usually about 18-24 inches. (and shorter depending on how many times I change dropper and don't feel like changing the whole dropper tippet)
Old 06-27-2012, 07:36 PM

Talking Great Report

If only I had reception at Tremont today and saw your post, I would have hit up Sam's this evening instead of being a good boy and going home to the family. I had brought my gear and everything, and the volunteer work was finished on Lynn Camp around 3:30. Family over fishing, what was I thinkin

Glad to see that you guys were able to get out and have a good time. Looks like the rhodo was pretty peak also.

Sorry to hear about your fishing buddy moving I'm sure gonna miss his posts with the kids, and the few times we met he was a pleasure to fish with
Old 06-28-2012, 08:17 AM

Great post Nathan good shot of Jay and all the blooming rhodo. Sorry to hear he is taking off too I never got to fish with him but did get to meet him out on the trail. Funny I found out the other day that your wife works with mine at the same place pretty much right next to each other and both had recent injuries from Smokies adventures. Kind of crazy!

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...

Last edited by Crockett; 06-28-2012 at 09:17 AM..
Old 06-28-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
Great post Nathan good shot of Jay and all the blooming rhodo. Sorry to hear he is taking off too I never got to fish with him but did get to meet him out on the trail. Funny I found out the other day that your wife works with mine at the same place pretty much right next to each other and both had recent injuries from Smokies adventures. Kind of crazy!

Yeah I heard that! What are the odds? When they get all healed up, we should go on a hike.

The rhodo on sam's was in full bloom and there were places where you could see just tons of it all the way up and down the ridges around the creek. I tried to get some good pics of it, but for some reason, the all came out a lot more blurry than I thought.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:51 PM

Default Duckypaddler--what day were you on Lynn Camp?

I was with the group that went way up Marks Creek. Were you with the lower group? We did not get out until 5:00. Our second section was covered with Rhodo. I think our total was 37 Brookies.

Jeff Wadley
Old 06-29-2012, 11:40 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday View Post
I was with the group that went way up Marks Creek. Were you with the lower group? We did not get out until 5:00. Our second section was covered with Rhodo. I think our total was 37 Brookies.

Jeff Wadley
I was up there on Wednesday. Matt mentioned you would be there on the hike out, and asked if I knew you. I said I had read your book, and follow you on internet blogs, and that you are a friend of a friend (Crockett). He was pretty inpressed with your rescue and civil air patrol work, and mentioned to one of the fishery students that you would be going up on Mark's (the tougher work) and would have no problem It looks like they got there moneys worth from you

37 isn't too bad considering where you were. I think we got like 50 and 46 on the two sections we did which is decent. Glad to see the YOY that should hold promise for the future Biggest thing was no rainbows