Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 PM

Default First Time in the Backcountry trip report with pics

First off a big thanks for all the knowledge recieved from this site and the fishing report. Also, a special thanks to Duckypaddler for onsite information at camp (did manage to get a brooky the afternoon after you left)

This trip was a lot of firsts. First time my wife and I have ever hiked and camped in the backcountry. First time catching a trout on a fly rod. First time catching a brooky. Also, completed my first smokey mountain slam. Wife got to see her first wild bear up close and personal. Temperature wasn't to hot, camping was great. All four campsites at 24 were full of fisherman, and there was enough water up there we were able to fish fresh water everyday. Fished up Rough Creek and Little River. The learning curve for flyfishing and proper sneak techniques wasn't as bad as I thought. Did get to see some lightning bugs at night doin' there thing, and one big bad thunder storm all night long. We now are both addicted to backcountry camping. Too bad it is a 5 hour drive.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:20 PM

Looks like a fun trip. Did the bear give any trouble?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:08 PM

no he just checked out the camp across from us on his way threw,but my wife was scared.now that she has experienced it she is glad she got to see one so close in the wild.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:03 AM

Y'all's first backcountry camping trip and you see a bear. I have yet to see one in the park. I have only seen one in all my outings, camping or just day trips.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:34 PM

Turk,

Excellent report and pictures, thanks for posting your trip.

Its amazing how hot it can be down in town and how nice if can feel up in the mountains.

Make plans for a backcountry trip in the spring or fall and you will really be hooked.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:06 AM

Talking Congrats on the slam and thanks for a report

And it was nice to meet you

Considering it was your first time in the park, you are doing great, and are beyond most people starting off

Looks like I missed all the "Bear Fun"

Apparently an hour after I left a bear walked right by where my tent had been set up about 20 feet from Trey. He said that one just walked by completely ignoring him. He said the next day there were like 5 times bears came in. He said he had to throw rocks. While they were not acting hostile, they were WAY to comfortable than they should have been. I never carry a gun or spray, but told my buddy to bring his spray as this site and a couple on Hazel are about the only place you could ever dream of a bear problem. I asked him if he had to get his spray out. He said no, but said it was right in his pocket. This incident has also made him change from a really small bottle of pepper spray to one of those 30+ feet spray bottles. If you frequent 24 or lower Hazel sites tyou might consider doing the same.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:34 PM

Great pics. Looks like you had a red letter trip!
Lee