Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 10-03-2012, 07:33 AM

Default Tying Challenge 11: Fall Dries

Cane Pole, I liked your idea of puting the topic in the Title for ease of finding later too....

Next Challenge, as mentioned on the previous thread, FALL DRIES!! What's your favorite? Lets see some fun creations with lots of yellows and oranges and maybe some other non-traditional or unexpected fall colors, patterns and ideas!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:25 PM

I dont fish the floater all the time but this one will work....size 12.Thanks again for a chance to share ideas with the best .Be safe

Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 PM

That's really cool! What's the wing made of? Nice one
Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 PM

wing is a back feather from a pheasant
Old 10-04-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olesmoke View Post
I dont fish the floater all the time but this one will work....size 12.Thanks again for a chance to share ideas with the best .Be safe
Beautiful Fly Olesmoke!

One of my favorite fall-winter dry flies is the bi-visible. It works spectacular on the upper Clinch.

Nov 7 Midge:
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 10-04-2012, 06:06 PM

MB here is one of those size 26 midges that drive you crazy......also the winter caddis are not bright and flashy but they fish well.....be safe

Old 10-05-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
MB here is one of those size 26 midges that drive you crazy......also the winter caddis are not bright and flashy but they fish well.....be safe
Nice! I think the second-one in black would be spectacular on the Clinch. Also; do you ever tie any black fly dries? They are prevail-ant on the Clinch and I usually tie them similar to an ant terrestrial pattern with a wingbud.
Also; do you have trouble presenting a size 26 fly? I usually try to use a heavier hook and I have to trim hackle excessively to get the posture just right.
  1. I use Gink wet for my tippet
  2. and Gink dry on my fly
    • - then subsequent applications of dissectant powder to the fly to keep it floating.
  3. I like to use nymph hooks for my dries as-well so that the body will break the film with a slight upturn bend in the shank.
  4. Also; I always knot the hook from the bottom up with the intent of positioning the tippet lower in the water as to sink.
Any tips on the small dries?

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 10-05-2012 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: blah
Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 PM

MB Thanks for asking but Im not the the dry fly fisherman to be answering your questions.First off I don't fish the smaller flies often less then size 22 .Flies that size don't have the holding power--hook-up rate & the size tippet necessary creates a long battle that I think is hard on the fish.As far as dry flies for the black fly ..a simple thread body with a small CDC puff is about all that's in my box. The larva or the emerger is far more effective for me and can fish two areas of the water column if fished in tandem.MB wish I could be of more help but I don't cast well enough the fish the technical side .I fish to relax and if the painted fish will give me the pleasure then so be it...Ive given him an offer and he accepted.Be safe
Old 10-06-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
MB Thanks for asking but Im not the the dry fly fisherman to be answering your questions.First off I don't fish the smaller flies often less then size 22 .Flies that size don't have the holding power--hook-up rate & the size tippet necessary creates a long battle that I think is hard on the fish.As far as dry flies for the black fly ..a simple thread body with a small CDC puff is about all that's in my box. The larva or the emerger is far more effective for me and can fish two areas of the water column if fished in tandem.MB wish I could be of more help but I don't cast well enough the fish the technical side .I fish to relax and if the painted fish will give me the pleasure then so be it...Ive given him an offer and he accepted.Be safe
Thanks for the response and input! I find it frustrating fishing small dries over size 22 as well. The small tippet is usually my first impediment and then trying to get them to present long enough for a take is the last challenge. So; I usually stick to larger dries. I like to work my flies as well to entice strikes and many dry patterns do not allow me to do that. My favorite is a slender sulphur pattern with trico style wings pulled up-parachute style. This allows it to sit down in the water and present the fly's silhouette clearly to the fish. Plus; it usually stays on top after a few bumps of the line.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:39 PM

MB here is the sulfurs that I fish often on the Holston......16 & 18 and some 20 late in the season.