Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-11-2012, 06:49 AM

Default Big Hex-Clinch River

I found this big guy Sunday Morning on the Clinch. I believe it is a big hexagenia-male. But, I could be wrong. It is a beautiful specimen and I wanted to share for those that are interested.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-11-2012, 02:31 PM

Big Willow fly from the Clinton area up to look for some action! That means I should head to Watts Bar for the carp on the dry fun!

Can you imagine a significant hatch of those on the Clinch? Talk about bringing up the big boys from the bottom!
Old 07-11-2012, 03:03 PM

I have seen many of these on the Clinch. However, they were always down around Melton Hill Dam.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 07-11-2012, 10:37 PM

As far back as I can remember there have always been a few on the river, never great numbers but always a few during the summer, and usually early in the morning while the fog is still on the river.

There is enough marl along the banks to support a small population, but no where near the numbers found in our reservoirs.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:22 PM

Three weeks or so ago, I launched from PO around 5:45 am. The water was falling, maybe 1' higher than low/low. The pool between PO and the bend was covered in Hex's. I kindly expected they were spinners, but each one I got close to was a fresh dun. Big and hulking. Some drifted motionless like sailboats, while others fluttered on the surface a bit. Many of them were eaten. We easily spotted over five hundred as we drifted straight down river and could only see bout 30'. We caught 20 fish on a straight dead drift through them. We didn't see any more after we reached the shoal.

I've seen them in low numbers many times. First time I've ever seen them in those numbers.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:19 AM

Way back when i had the big boat & fished the lakes & streams, i'd always carry a coffee can(that dates it) full of rocks to throw in the over hanging bushes knocking them onto the water & look for the biggest mouth appearing, let it calm down & go after them

Grumpy
Old 07-12-2012, 10:32 AM

Watts Bar hatch from years ago. They can really be spectacular in numbers!
At the dock at night

After ol' rubber lips
Old 07-12-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyraccoon View Post
Three weeks or so ago, I launched from PO around 5:45 am. The water was falling, maybe 1' higher than low/low. The pool between PO and the bend was covered in Hex's. I kindly expected they were spinners, but each one I got close to was a fresh dun. Big and hulking. Some drifted motionless like sailboats, while others fluttered on the surface a bit. Many of them were eaten. We easily spotted over five hundred as we drifted straight down river and could only see bout 30'. We caught 20 fish on a straight dead drift through them. We didn't see any more after we reached the shoal.

I've seen them in low numbers many times. First time I've ever seen them in those numbers.
That is pretty amazing. I guess there is enough silt in that area to allow that fly to breed.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyraccoon View Post

That would be pretty rare to see from my experience around PO. That area has been laden with Coal Creek silt most of the year. Glad they were coming off in that high of a volume.

Those pictures are insane...

*FYI: I found this hex up around the weir dam.
to choose, to respond, to change.”