Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-03-2012, 10:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default streamside trash

stopped at some pulloffs to check the river in townsend yesterday and was disgusted with all the trash in the water and along the banks. I used to not understand why the residents along the irver disliked the tubing industry so much when it is that industy that fuels thei economy in the summer. However, I get it now. Really a shame to trash abeautiful river. The only upside to my obersvation is that the trash was not fishing oriented. I saw busted lawn chairs, beer cans (alot of them), potato chip bags, and who knows what else, but not a single worm container o roostertail package.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:29 PM

**** shame isn't it. I've spent most of my life hauling out other people's trash and litter. I usually carry a trash bag with me and pick up the thrash on my way back out.

Here on the Cape Lookout National Seashore, the state's open container law is the cause for a lot of the litter. As a boater, you can be caught with a boat load of beer on board as long as none of them are open. But if there is even one beer open you can be cited, So, the folks go ashore, drink, then leave the cans or bottles or just "sink" them. Usually they bury them but they soon are uncovered by the tides.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:10 PM

Default trash

spent last week in the park hiking and fishing, on every hike my wife , son and I carried out discarded water bottles gatorade bottles and assorted other trash.maybe all hikers should be required to have hydration packs ,no water bottles. I'm sure that most of the flip flop wearing hikers have no clue that the park does not provide a sanitation crew to clean up after them
Old 07-06-2012, 07:20 AM

This is one issue I wish parents would discuss more with their children and represent as well. The tubing businesses should post signs to encourage conservation and attach simple net bags to their tubes for trash refuse.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-15-2012, 08:19 PM

Great ideas on litter control. Unfortunately to not be a litterbug requires each of us to commit to absolutely not doing it which apparently many don't. Not sure what the ultimate solution is.
Lee
Old 07-15-2012, 10:46 PM

It's a shame, and I agree with Shawn about introducing this to your kid at an early age. Better yet, carry a small trash bag, or ice bag every time you go hiking or fishing. I fill mine up almost every time I go. Some days I could fill a much larger bag, but this size is about as large as I can get in my vest. Every little bit helps
Old 07-15-2012, 11:24 PM

Unfortunatly as easy a target tubers are, its not just them, I was on Tremont this evening just plinking some pools. I was working my way up when I saw what I thought was a green popper in the water. It turned out to be a stike indicator, so I snagged thinking great recycle again and use for free. Later after crawling out and walking back down the gravel road, saw a receipt and package top for something. I was stunned when I saw it was purchased from our favorite store today and what time and persons name and address, and was for green strike indicators. I still have but will not call the person out, giving them benefit of doubt, (maybe had a heart attack and everything fell out of vest?), but was shocked that a fisherman (fly or not) would throw away right on the road. No way could have blown out of car or truck that section is still closed off! As hard as our local stores work to have a positive influence on the enviroment, once the purchased is made, it is up to us be stewards of the park, I would have been embarrassed for some member of the public or park crew to have found and said the inevitable statement "D*** fisherman!. Now help me off my soapbox and help me tie a nailknot!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:53 AM

I really hate to see trash along the trails and rivers too. For some reason, it seems to always be Bud cans too...?

I did litter along the creek at Tremont once. I had one of those plastic containers with the lid on them from LRO that contained a bunch of flies I purchased that morning. Being somewhat lazy and in a hurry, instead of taking the flies out and putting them in my fly box, I put the little plastic container in the upper pocket of my vest.

I walked down the hillside to the stream, waded out to start fishing and realized my vest pocket was unzipped. The container was nowhere to be found. I still have no idea and sincerely hoped some other fisherman found it and caught a large fish with the flies. At least then they would have been put to good use.

Jeff
Old 07-16-2012, 09:04 PM

A bit off and yet a bit on the subject. Some 20 years ago I lived in southern VA in a very small community. I had a small farm on a road that went to our county dump that was about two miles away. There was no trash pickup but the dump was free to dump anything. From time to time I would find that people had dumped their trash on my property instead of driving the few extra miles. Got very little help from the Sheriff. So, if I found a receipt or envelope with their name on it I returned the trash to them by dumping it in their lawn. I'm not completely sure but I don't think the dumped again on my property.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:39 AM

Dirty diapers have to be the worst trailside trash. I did find a few flies below Tremont the other day along with a jighead and a spinner.