Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-19-2015, 10:22 AM

Default Yet another new guy thread

Good morning !

I looked at a number of sites/forums and liked this site. Everyone is killing themselves to help others and that's nice to see.

I am a late bloomer to fly rods and until recently have only dabbled in the art of fly fishing i.e. slapping the water, catching bank stick fish, and converting 9 foot rods to 5' 6" shorties due to unforeseen shrubbery. With cold wet feet.

To make matters worse, I decided to get really serious and fish for Carp, Bass, and Trout on the fly. Mostly to polish up my swearing skill set.

My first question is, what are you guys swinging for the skinny water up in the Smokies. I have a 9's (nothing below a 5) and I cant see running them with all the tight trees and brush.

Im guessing a 7' 6" 3 wt maybe?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:02 PM

I have several rods I use. Funny how they multiply

My two favorites for the Smokies are both 7' 6" 3 weights.

I have also used a 7' 6" 5 weight and a couple of 8' 6" 4 weights.

My personal favorite is an Orvis superfine 7' 6" 3 weight I picked up hardly used.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:01 PM

Welcome to the board! Personally, I think that 9' rods are ideal for the Park in 3-5 weights. Except on the very smallest streams, the extra reach will help you keep your line off of the water while "high sticking" and help you achieve better drifts. In fact, I'm looking to purchase 1 or 2 10' rods this year for fishing in the Park and on the drift boat.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-19-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
Good morning !

I looked at a number of sites/forums and liked this site. Everyone is killing themselves to help others and that's nice to see.

I am a late bloomer to fly rods and until recently have only dabbled in the art of fly fishing i.e. slapping the water, catching bank stick fish, and converting 9 foot rods to 5' 6" shorties due to unforeseen shrubbery. With cold wet feet.

To make matters worse, I decided to get really serious and fish for Carp, Bass, and Trout on the fly. Mostly to polish up my swearing skill set.

My first question is, what are you guys swinging for the skinny water up in the Smokies. I have a 9's (nothing below a 5) and I cant see running them with all the tight trees and brush.

Im guessing a 7' 6" 3 wt maybe?

Thanks in advance..
My most recent trip I was using a 7' 3/4 weight rod with a 4# double taper line. It worked really well, but I found myself missing my longer rods (9' 4# and 8'6" 3#). I'll keep using the 7' exclusively for a while, but I am uncertain which I will ultimately prefer in the long run. Short rods and long rods each have their advantages.

Shorter rod pros: Easier to maneuver around cover, cast under branches, and navigate through rhodohell.
Longer rod pros: easier/longer roll and tension casts (usually no space to back cast on skinny water); easier line and drift management for presentation (keep line off of water, mending, etc)

A 9' 5# rod may be a bit heavier than "ideal" but will work great for trout. A 5# will also handle the Carp and Bass.

Last edited by mattblick; 05-19-2015 at 03:55 PM..
Old 05-19-2015, 06:06 PM

Zoomie, good to have you on here. The guys on the bass site were wondering about you the other day
Old 05-19-2015, 07:57 PM

Welcome to the forums Zoomie!!!!!! From one late bloomer to another, gonna be 31, and been at it a year. What the guys have told you so fars is 100% correct 7'-9', 3-5wt will do you in any situation in the park. I myself use a 9' 5wt Recon, chucks streamer and lays out a dry fly like a champ. However, imho, it's not really the rod persay but, more of how you use it. High stick as much as possible, learn the roll, bow and arrow, and snap casts (you should use these more often than a distance cast) and a light leader 5-7x. These fish around here are super spooky, as in they know you are comin before you even leave the house. Remember though as you have been for warned they multiply, I myself am contemplating a 9' 3wt, or a 10' 8-9wt. Questions, questions...........
I am a fisherman for life. I will always be a fisherman. Itís not something I do, it is who I am. Fishing is not an escape. It is where I belong, where Iím supposed to be. It is not a place, but a lifelong journey. It is a passage my father showed me, and I will show others. When you understand all of this, you will know me, and we will fish together.

Last edited by Topher2003; 05-19-2015 at 08:43 PM..
Old 05-19-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
Zoomie, good to have you on here. The guys on the bass site were wondering about you the other day
Hey stranger ! Long time no chat.

I'm still around and still chasing. Caught some nice Smallies the other day on the Holston. Saw some stinkin' monsters but lots were bedded so I had to move along and let them alone.

Not sure which bass site everyone moved off to. They were jumping around a bit and it got confusing. Let me know and I'll stop in and say hello.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:49 PM

Sincerest thanks for the advice, everyone ! Sounds like I can run my 9' foot 5 for starters. I finally spent serious money on some waders and a rod or two. Or serious money for me anyway. I'll wait on the 3 and wait until I have some more money burning a hole in my pocket before tackling it. Need to work on putting together a basic flybox for bass and carp but need to do a ton more reading first.

I am a beginner caster. More like a flinger/slapper but that should improve. Familiar with the roll cast, but not the others. I really need to cough up some cash and get some instruction.

The rest of my gear should be in by the end of the week. I'm dying to get out and work on my baptism by fire.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:38 AM

Sounds like you already have fly fishing figured out

Seriously though, the key skill is patience.

I personally like an 8' 4wt for the mountain streams. Good luck and enjoy the process.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

From the end of November through early march I only use a 10' 4 weight. You just cannot best a long rod for nymphing... 9' 3 weight for everything else except streamers.