Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-22-2012, 10:33 PM

Default History of Southern Appalachian Fly Fishing?

Hello everyone, I am looking for information / a book about the History of Southern Appalachian Fly Fishing? I've been looking around and have not found something that really fit the bill. Any advice?
Old 07-23-2012, 03:20 AM

Default Good Question

Will Jim Casada or Don Kirk please ring in with an answer here? Maybe we have an even better historian out there. What is the earliest reference to flyfishing in what is now the "Great Smokies" that you have read? Surely people fished Hazel Creek before Kephart and wrote about it. Mr. lostnwilderness is looking for a book, but a reference to a periodical such as Forest and Stream would interest me. Don or Jim please answer his query so I can learn too. Anybody else?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:56 AM

Default Call any time....

Lost,
Both Jim Casada and I have been working on this subject for a number of years. I know Jim would be more than pleased to talk to you, as would I. Jim is the go to guy for the NC side. Of course he knows a good bit about the TN side too.
I've started a new online magazine, Southern Trout, that features a couple of historical pieces in each issue. The next issue (Sept/Oct) has a article about L.J. DeCuir, who wrote the first fly pattern book on southern waters, and an old 1880's article on fishing Raven's Fork by a fellow named Donald Gillis. The Nov/Dec issue has an extensive article on Jim Gasque, the old writer who made Mark Cathey a well known legend. It is written by Bill Stuart, the curator the Fly Fishing Museum.
You can view the first two issues at www.southerntrout.com. The website’s blog has an article on its now on the origins of the Tellico Nymph titled, “Whose ya daddy?” I suspect it will create some controversy. I have a half-cooked “dog and pony” show I do on the old timers for groups like TU and FFF. I think I have a dozen or shows to do this winter around the region. Lastly, I am working on a fly history book for Stackpole that will be out in 2013, so I am always eager to talk about such things.
Jim and I knew some of the old timers. We are committed to recording and preserving as much as we can gather. You can email me or call me at 205-665-2658. It is certainly an interested history that some of us find very fascinating.
Cheers,
dk