Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-26-2012, 10:27 AM

For once I personally won't blame twra for the problems. Granted I think some [TWRA staff] is a moron, and should not be doing the job he does currently.

I think this is a low flow issue caused by tva and can be traced back to may/June with the low flows and with the weir being cracked it made the issue worse. Getting them to change is tough and hoping for better flows is best left with mother nature for help imo.

Corbo, if you think folks like me are sitting by silent than you are horribly uninformed and don't understand how many times we have gone to bat over the past 25 years for the clinch fishery. We have balls and have certainly made our point over the years. See former quality zone and current slot limits for evidence.

Last edited by Paula Begley; 07-31-2012 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: Removed specific name of TWRA staff
Old 07-26-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Granted I think [TWRA staff] is a moron, and should not be doing the job he does currently.

For the 100th time, this is simply not true. [He] is a bright guy and knows what he is doing.

Last edited by Paula Begley; 07-31-2012 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Edited quote was edited to remove specific name of TWRA staff
Old 07-26-2012, 06:46 PM

Corbo,
Just how do you think we got slot limits on this river? Everything on this river has been fought for.

Now when it comes to the crack in the weir I say it would be awesome if they would look at puttng in a labyrinth dam like the one on the S. Holston....then watch the river explode as the S. Holston did.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBigBore View Post
For the 100th time, this is simply not true. [He] is a bright guy and knows what he is doing.
You're right only a bright guy and someone who knows what they are doing would make these statements...

1) the Clinch fish are thin because of post spawn weight loss.
-never mind he has preached forever fish don't spawn in the clinch, so how do they lose weight when according to him they don't spawn?
- never mind that any cold water fisheries person knows that rainbows spawn in jan/feb and that by June all signs would be gone of spawning stress.

2) pressure has no impact on the quality of the fish in the clinch.
-never mind the fact that he lobbied for and spoke a year later about how a slot limit would improve the quality of the fishery due to the pressure.

Those are just two quick examples of how amazingly unqualified he is for the job. Bart Carter appears to be the only one who is worth having around.

Last edited by Paula Begley; 07-31-2012 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: Quote used was edited by admin
Old 07-26-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
Corbo,
Just how do you think we got slot limits on this river? Everything on this river has been fought for.

Now when it comes to the crack in the weir I say it would be awesome if they would look at puttng in a labyrinth dam like the one on the S. Holston....then watch the river explode as the S. Holston did.
And throw some refrigerators, cash registers, bicycles, and didymo in the clinch so the river would fish like the Soho does.
Why are the Clinch's fish so fragile when the Soho's and Watauga's are so resilient?
I think the lower Clinch fish were born without brains. As late as July this year I've fished through dang good sulphur hatches (usually in the rain) and haven't seen many trout eating the duns/emergers. Whereas nearly every dun goes into a fishes mouth on the tri cities waters. Stupid skinny fish! There's food everywhere!
Oh yeah, I'm only catching fish skeletons above the weir so don't fish there.

4X
Old 07-27-2012, 06:22 AM

Not trtying to upset anyone; yes everything fought for over the years BUT fighting for a change in flow regime does take a lot of [guts].... TVA would be WASTING WATER... and that means no money and that is a really tough sell.

Last edited by Paula Begley; 07-31-2012 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: removed offensive language
Old 07-27-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Not trtying to upset anyone; yes everything fought for over the years BUT fighting for a change in flow regime does take a lot of [guts].... TVA would be WASTING WATER... and that means no money and that is a really tough sell.
Anytime the generators are running water isn't being wasted, TVA only wastes water when they spill or sluice, and at those times they are happy to waste water because of flood control.

Again, you speak out when you fail to realize that during the 90's there was a very vocal group of fly fisherman who pushed for higher minimums on the Clinch, then again in the late 90's we pushed for more more water above the weir after some adjustments were made by TVA resulted in the weir pool basically drying up after an hour of no generators.

You do not understand how many battles have been fought and won with regards to the Clinch.

Last edited by Paula Begley; 07-31-2012 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: quoted post was edited
Old 07-27-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Anytime the generators are running water isn't being wasted, TVA only wastes water when they spill or sluice, and at those times they are happy to waste water because of flood control.

Again, you speak out when you fail to realize that during the 90's there was a very vocal group of fly fisherman who pushed for higher minimums on the Clinch, then again in the late 90's we pushed for more more water above the weir after some adjustments were made by TVA resulted in the weir pool basically drying up after an hour of no generators.

You do not understand how many battles have been fought and won with regards to the Clinch.
Jim,
I have met Corbo and we have discussed the topic of pro-active conservation. I do not think he was alluding to a lack of activism in the past. I believe he was only trying to relay some of his experience with these type of issues. I may be wrong. Corbo; please clarify if I misspoke. He is a recent transplant to East Tennessee and I am sure unaware of all the activism it took previously to better the Clinch fishery. Also, I think he would be a good asset and well versed with these type of issues to help with improvement issues.

Hopefully; the people that care and are willing can pool resources for voicing needed changes.

Also; I for one appreciate all the hard work and dedication in the past from activists that have worked hard on these type of issues. I say THANKS!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-27-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Jim,
I have met Corbo and we have discussed the topic of pro-active conservation. I do not think he was alluding to a lack of activism in the past. I believe he was only trying to relay some of his experience with these type of issues. I may be wrong. Corbo; please clarify if I misspoke. He is a recent transplant to East Tennessee and I am sure unaware of all the activism it took previously to better the Clinch fishery. Also, I think he would be a good asset and well versed with these type of issues to help with improvement issues.

Hopefully; the people that care and are willing can pool resources for voicing needed changes.

Also; I for one appreciate all the hard work and dedication in the past from activists that have worked hard on these type of issues. I say THANKS!
The wording of [snip] pretty much implies that he believes that none of us who have spoken up have the [guts] to do anything other than speak out here and aren't willing to take on the powers such as TVA and TWRA.

I am not upset by any means, and just wanted to make it crystal clear that many of us have been extremely vocal over the years and will continue to do so when issues arise.

Last edited by Paula Begley; 07-31-2012 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: removed offensive language...this illustrates how people get their backs up about the use of such.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:54 PM

WATERWOLF

I am aware of the previous battles and appreciate your efforts and those of all who have tried to improve the Clinch River fishery.

I would like to see a higher constant minimum flow... 24/7. This would be wasting wasting water.... of course all Dam operators "waste" when they sluice but that's for lack of unlimited storage.

As to "my own battles".... well I have intervened in a great many hydro re-licensings on behalf of Trout Unlimited.... (Kennebec Chapter) and wrote ALL the paperwork on most.