Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-21-2012, 12:27 PM

Default Waders Vs. Time of Year Vs. Elevation Question

I'll be fishing somewhere around 4500 ft. plus the last week of September in the smokies. I don't have enough experience to know if I will need waders then or not. Will the water be cold enough to warrant packing the waders in?
John 3:16
Old 08-21-2012, 12:46 PM

Streams are small enough at that elevation that you really won't have to be in the water much at all anyway. I would wet wade unless we get a very early winter which is doubtful. It also depends on your comfort level with cold as mornings could be chilly and streams will be cooler at that time of year. I normally wet wade even on the larger streams well into October and sometimes even into November.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 08-21-2012, 01:07 PM

Smile

If it warm enough to fish the Smokies - It's warm enough to wet wade

Save you waders for the tailwaters or really large streams.

At 4500 I would never wear waders as the freedom of movement becomes more of an issue than temp of water (typically under 2 feet). Plus if your getting too cold wet wading you shpuld probably be hiding more on the sides with less disruption of the stream
Old 08-21-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
I'll be fishing somewhere around 4500 ft. plus the last week of September in the smokies. I don't have enough experience to know if I will need waders then or not. Will the water be cold enough to warrant packing the waders in?
My stance is about 180 from the other guys: if it is too hot to wear my Chota Hippies, it is probably too hot to be fishing. One of my best purchases from LRO, ever..

I never regret the weight added to my pack. They roll up small enough to fit inside my wading boots. Hippies provide much more mobility than waist high waders, let alone chest waders. The ability to roll them down to a slim profile to cool off when temperatures do climb a bit is just icing on the cake. I should mention that I don't like wading at all without the ankle support and grip that wading boots provide; so the additional ounces of added weight just aren't much. For people that can get by without wading boots, the weight difference would be considerably different and maybe wet wading would make more sense.

A lighter yet, and less expensive -- though less durable alternate would be knee-high sealskinz socks. If used solely for wading, durability might not be an issue. However I had a pair of sealskinz wear out after 2 hiking trips. (admittedly long miles and probably not what they are designed for)

-Matt-

Last edited by mattblick; 08-21-2012 at 03:49 PM..
Old 08-21-2012, 04:50 PM

I too will be up in the Smokies that same week .... and am usually up there every year at that time for a week's fishing...while I do own a pair of chest waders I have never worn them...used to fish in shorts that time of year until the stinging thissle got so bad in some places...now we just fish in our wading boots and a pair of nylon fishing/hiking pants....a pair of neophrene booties helps with the cool water but I vote freedom of movement and lack of weight over what little warmth they will provide that time of year.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:03 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I'll have to be in the stream quite a bit. I didn't want to carry the extra weight if it wasn't necessary.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 PM

I was near that elevation over the last bit of September-first of October last year. It started as a warm weekend when wet wading was comfortable but ended with the first real strong cold front and hiking out through a stream in the morning when the air is in the low thirties isn't super fun but my wool socks kept my feet reasonably warm during the hike out even if they were soaking wet. If I had had waders I would have worn them but did ok without.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:45 PM

I use the simms footies........if it gets too cold....I stand on the bank for a spell.........late november is a different story however!!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I'll have to be in the stream quite a bit. I didn't want to carry the extra weight if it wasn't necessary.
Yeah - trust me on this. You don't want waders that high. Would be much too difficult to get around.

btw: nice looking dawg
Old 08-21-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
Yeah - trust me on this. You don't want waders that high. Would be much too difficult to get around.

btw: nice looking dawg
Thanks! Yours is a top notch looking dog as well. Never met a setter I didn't like. I think I'll let the waders stay at home and cash in the weight for something else I probably don't need to carry either