Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 07-09-2012, 12:07 PM

Default Fishing + Travel + Camping Question

I am looking into next years late summer vacation plans, and am insisting on the Rockies. Every trip I have ever made out there has been in April, so I miss all the wonderful scenery and fishing that accompanies the late summer season.

My question is how do those of you that camp out west (Yellowstone, Rocky Mtn, Glacier, etc.) get your camping gear to your destination? I understand that some percentage of you probably drive the entire distance, but I am not about to attempt that with a 5 and 2 yr old. Not to mention I have enough frequent flyer miles to cover the cost of our tickets. Do you check your gear with the airline or ship it via UPS or FedEx? I have recently started updating my camping gear to pull double duty for backpacking trips, so packed size is not vary large. Do you try to carry on as much as you can in a backpack, check your backpack, or just ignore the backpack and check a large duffel bag?

The item that I envision being the most cumbersome is the tent. I am quite familiar with most airlines policies for carry-on luggage since I have taken fishing trips before, but I have not investigated the cost difference between airline checked baggage vs. shipping.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 07-09-2012, 02:33 PM

ChemE : I'm sure that everyone has gotten their gear out West different ways, and what I've done for at least 3 backpacking trips out there is ship most of my stuff out tere in a big, strong duffel bag to my initial destination/hotel and notify them in advance of the gear's arrival. I've also checked in some gear with the airlines before and had some stuff broken from abuse in handlng. As for cost differences, that would depend on the airline and their baggage charges. I would expect you to do better shipping it. I did when I shipped it via UPS. Do you know yet where you are going? If you are open to ideas, etc... I'll be glad to assist with what I know of the West . email me if you want at memcconk@gmail.com and I'll reply with my phone #

Mike
Old 07-09-2012, 04:57 PM

When we fly (usually every other year), we usually fly on SouthWest (bags fly free!) out of BNA to Denver, and each of us check two large duffles with everything except perishable food and fuel canisters. This past year we flew out of TYS and had to pay the bag fees, but it was less than what we would have payed to ship it (although it was close)...Our 4 person tent weighs about 15lbs, so its not too much of a problem to pack. You just need to make sure each of your bags weigh 50lbs or less.

However, if I was flying with smaller kids (like you), I would ship it all rather than deal with the hassle of checking it at the airport. The costs difference would be easily made up by not dealing with the hassle...

Its also important to stay organized, there is nothing worse than forgetting something when you are out in the woods and have no easy way to get the items you needed...I have a spreadsheet checklist of all of our essentials that we pack as well as things we will buy at WalMart/SuperTarget when we get to Denver. I can send you a copy if you'd like.

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 07-09-2012, 08:49 PM

Another city that is a good starting point to fly into is Salt Lake(convenient to the Tetons and YNP) and like Pete Cz, we fly SW out of Nashville. Another thing we ship out with the gear is a softshell cartop carrier($30 @ Kmart) ..it really comes in handy with all the gear. One word of warning though, car rental companies don't approve of this, so put it on out of their sight.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCz View Post
When we fly (usually every other year), we usually fly on SouthWest (bags fly free!) out of BNA to Denver, and each of us check two large duffles with everything except perishable food and fuel canisters. This past year we flew out of TYS and had to pay the bag fees, but it was less than what we would have payed to ship it (although it was close)...Our 4 person tent weighs about 15lbs, so its not too much of a problem to pack. You just need to make sure each of your bags weigh 50lbs or less.

However, if I was flying with smaller kids (like you), I would ship it all rather than deal with the hassle of checking it at the airport. The costs difference would be easily made up by not dealing with the hassle...

Its also important to stay organized, there is nothing worse than forgetting something when you are out in the woods and have no easy way to get the items you needed...I have a spreadsheet checklist of all of our essentials that we pack as well as things we will buy at WalMart/SuperTarget when we get to Denver. I can send you a copy if you'd like.

PeteCz, can you send me a copy of that spreadsheet if its not too much trouble? Thanks!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 07-09-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCz View Post

Pete,
I have a spreadsheet for backpacking, one for car camping, and one for fly-out (non camping) trips. However, it is always nice to compare notes since I am sure I forgot something. Please send me a copy at knxtravis80 at gmail dot com. I would appreciate it.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 07-10-2012, 10:33 PM

Pete,

I too would be interested in taking a look at your spreadsheet. I have a running list I have saved in Word, but would love to compare notes with what you are working off. Add me to the growing list if you don't mind! --> carsonmac02@yahoo.com
Old 07-11-2012, 03:26 PM

Default On its way

Three emails sent...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 07-15-2012, 09:09 PM

Used to fly cross country to fish. Would ship my bulky gear via UPS red label in advance. Find a fly shop/outfitter to ship to then confirm its arrival by phone. That way you know the difficult to replace gear is there waiting for you and can take less important gear on the flight. It sure beats worrying about the airlines losing your stuff on a plane change.
Lee