Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-31-2012, 02:20 PM

Default Ramsey Cascade 7-30-2012

Decided to get my last fishing trip for the summer in yesterday, as teachers go back to school this week. Went up the Ramsey Cascades Trail to get up high.
Saw this guy above the trail on the way up...thought he looked cool

Water was cold, but VERY low, lowest I have seen it before. Fish were very "selective" as the low water gave them ample time to inspect before taking. First of the day was a bow

he was darker than normal...others up there were all brookies, in the 6-10 inch category.

Some took the dropper (#16 BHPT or #16 Hare's ear) others took my dry which varied from a yellow stonefly pattern to a yellow parchute adams variant...Brookies mainly hit the dry, but a few hit the dropper. MANY others splashed my fly, but having that extra time to look at it made a big difference. Had to be very stealthy, and stay behind rocks, keep low, etc...but fish were there, and caught 10-15 in 4 hours up there. Came back down and fished below the parking lot with very limited success (3 p.m. and the fish weren't taking anything...just too hot)
All in all a good day, until I became the acme of foolishness, placing my rod across the bed of my truck while I got more nymphs out of my truck. That allowed me to forget it was there as I drove down the road to another spot. As I backed out, the rod fell off and I drove right over it. My TFO 4 piece instantly became a 7 piece, but the Orvis reel surprisingly held up well only having the reel handle snapped off. Luckily both warranties cover stupidity. I was most upset that I had to end early as there was 3 hours of fishing left....oh well the most instructive lessons are the hardest to bear.

Very low water level, here just about the junction with Porter's Creek

Some butterflies, which were everywhere yesterday
Old 08-01-2012, 07:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

nice pics, but the wet trout on dry rocks are horrible for them
Old 08-01-2012, 09:33 AM

The water was really just that low that the trout are turning into lizards and crawling out...
Old 08-01-2012, 06:48 PM

Yeah, tried to get him onto a wet gravel bed to get a pic, but to no avail...figured less time out of the water and a dry rock would be preferred over more time and a wet rock. Luckily that was the only one that had to endure that, as all my others I was able to release without touching at all, which is my preferred method of release.