Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-07-2012, 11:18 PM

Default Killing Lake Trout

Lake Trout are an invasive species in Yellowstone Lake and are wiping out the native Cutthroat. I was given the opportunity to work with Chris Hunt and Kirk Deeter of Trout Unlimited and the National Park Service in working our way toward a solution.

On August 23 I will be speaking at the monthly meeting of the Little River Chapter of Trout Unlimited about the efforts to remove the Lakers.

Here is a link to my Blog in which part of this unfolding story is told.

I hope you will join me on August 23rd.

http://theperfectdrift-marc.blogspot...adication.html

Marc
Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 AM

Marc, I was in Yellowstone last week and what I saw was very troubling. I haven't been to YSNP in ten years. Ten years ago I looked out over fishing bridge and it was Cutts as far as you could see. Last week I saw "ZERO". I fished @ Buffalo Ford @ a time when there should have been fish from the head of the island all the around the bend upriver. I saw very few rises from large fish( 16'' and up). That river has turned into a place to catch 6'' fish or pure monsters. There are virtually no fish in between. It is still the place to go to catch a fish over twenty on a dry. The water was littered with bugs. Spinners were on the water like leaves in the fall here.
Lynn Hayes
Old 08-08-2012, 11:42 AM

Lynn,

You for sure want to come to the meeting. I had the honor of working alongside some amazing people, doing things that 99% of the people who come to the park never get to do or see. I will have a ton of information, photos, and stories to share. Be sure to introduce yourself to me.

Marc
Old 08-08-2012, 01:19 PM

Will do Marc. I really cant wait to here what the numbers say compared to what I saw. I hope its not as bad as I think it is.See you there.
Lynn
Old 08-09-2012, 08:26 PM

This is very interesting......I can't attend the meeting due to logistics......but I am very concerned about the details due to my personal experience of also standing at fishing bridge and noticing the changes..........I hope the details will be displayed on this board. Thanks for the post. Hopefully, a very constructive dialog will follow the presentation. Sorry I will miss it. Please keep us informed. Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:13 PM

Yonder, I don't want to do a shameless plug here (so Paula if you think it is necessary to delete this reply, feel free), but you can get the readers digest version of my trip and work on the following links.

#1 http://theperfectdrift-marc.blogspot...adication.html

#2 http://theperfectdrift-marc.blogspot...akers-rip.html

Marc
Old 08-09-2012, 09:48 PM

Thanks for the reply........I went to the website and please understand.......I am not a combatant in any way........I believe that this is an important issue that needs to be brought to the immediate attention of us all............I have a neutral stance on this issue...... but I believe that intelligent and reasonable discussion is in order............thanks again for the post........