Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 08-08-2012, 07:08 AM

Post Sunglasses: Costa 580G (Awesome!)

I thought I would share my opinion on sunglasses since I have read many topics about them. Fortunately; my best friend is an optometrist and I get to try out numerous sunglasses on the river before buying them. I have used Maui Jim's (still high on my list), Smith, Oakley, Costas, Nike, and many others to name a few...Last week I tried out the Costa-Jose' 580G model that is designed for a river type environment. Let me say these glasses are insane. I can see clearly to the bottom in many locations on a two-generator flow. The green lenses seem to take out the low level fog and enhance the contrast of anything with a green hue to it...

If you get a chance to try these out on the water; I think you will love them...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 08-08-2012, 07:10 AM

Totally agree with that
Old 08-08-2012, 03:40 PM

I've got the 580G lenses in copper on my Costas. Best glasses I've ever owned. Not only good for fishing but for driving and motorcycling.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:45 PM

I wear a pair of Costa Stringer's with the 580G with the Green mirror copper lenses, and have for a while. They are really good glasses, and have served me well.

I used to be a loyal Smith/Action Optics person, free trip to Belize helped their cause, but anymore their shades are junk and the frames especially.

IMO Maui Jim and Costa are the only shades worth owning.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
I wear a pair of Costa Stringer's with the 580G with the Green mirror copper lenses, and have for a while. They are really good glasses, and have served me well.
I compared several different Costas with the green mirror lenses on the water the other morning and there was a significant difference in contrast. The green mirror lenses actually filtered out most of the low level fog as well..
Quote:
I used to be a loyal Smith/Action Optics person, free trip to Belize helped their cause, but anymore their shades are junk and the frames especially.
Me too...They were my must have brand for many years on the lake. However; the quality seemed to diminish over the past years. They made some great looking and fitting frames for my big head.
Quote:
IMO Maui Jim and Costa are the only shades worth owning.
True That!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 08-09-2012, 07:59 AM

I used to wear Maui Jim's, they broke after many years, switched to AO's being we sold them where i work, tried the 580's one day & never looked back, not only do i feel the lenses are better, they're lighter than the AO's as well.
Mileage may vary because everyone's eyes are different, haven't had one complaint from Costa owner's though

Grumpy
Old 08-09-2012, 11:38 AM

Found this in a review online, may help explain the science of these glasses, too costly for my budget but thought this thread was interesting:

"So they look good and feel good, now how do they perform? I can honestly say that after putting on these glasses, I felt like I had an HD view of the world. I love storing what some folks call “useless knowledge” in the back of my brain, so I had to know just exactly why the 580G lenses had such a striking first look. Well Costa didn’t just come up with a number for these lenses, the 580 came from their ability to block yellow light at 580 nanometers. What does that mean to you and I? It means the reds, blues and greens are enhanced, thus creating that rich HD-like visual, while reducing blur and haze. Pair that with the 100% polarization and UV A/B/C protection and you’ve got, hands down, the best pair of lenses you’ve ever looked through."

From this link below:
http://outdoorchanneloutfitters.com/...91&blogid=7715
Old 08-19-2012, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the info Shawn. I also have a costa connection and will have to try them.
Lee