Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-04-2012, 05:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62
Smile Abram's creek

I started out the morning with bad attitude, I had planned to camp up on Forney creek but things did not work out so I was down to a day trip some where. After running an errand I headed to the mountains not knowing where I was going. When I got the Y I turned in the direction of the cove wanting to get away from the crowds I was thinking maybe Parson's branch. Made it to Cade's cove just in time to be near the front of the line when they let the cars in. As I drove I decided to give Abram's creek a try I have not fished it in a long time. There was only one truck in the parking lot when pulled in. My expectations for fish was low it was nice just to get out. Did not see anyone else fishing the whole time. The fishing was great I picked up the first trout on a green weeny but little action on it other than droves of painted wars attacking it. Switched to a bead head under a strike indicator the PW's were to thick for a dry fly as a indicator. After that the action was steady ended up with 25+ bows many in the 7 to 8 inch range. The water was a little cloudy I guess from recent rain I believe that helped. Did get rained on a bit but not a problem as I was wet wading. Abram's creek made my day.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:38 PM

Glad it turned out to be a good day......those rainbows sure are alot of fun!!!
Old 08-04-2012, 09:24 PM

Wow, what's this rain stuff you're talking about? I've heard water used to fall fromthe sky and they called it rain but we haven't seen anything like that for a long time.

Seriously, glad you had fun,sounds like a good day.

Jeff
Old 08-05-2012, 01:20 PM

Rain has been a rare thing around here. But there has been regular spotty showers it has kept my yard green. Hopefully the fall cool of will start and we will see the stream levels pick up a little. But it's hard for me to complain I like fishing the low water I do well with the low clear water.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:58 PM

I'm with you and hope the rain and fall cool off comes.

Here in Northern Kentucky, most of our streams are just a series pools with no riffles running between them. Other streams are totally dry.

The few local lakes/ponds I fish are all approximately 3' low.

We've had a long hot dry summer so far.

Jeff
Old 08-07-2012, 07:52 AM

Us too Jeff, it's about the same on the impoundments here in southern VA. It looks about 3-4 feet low, creeks are drying up, crops are starting to dry up because the pond water is finally giving out to irrigate them. Praying for rain, and usually the rain that will pull us out of a drought like this is a hurricane coming inland. Just hope if it happens that we don't get the damaging winds, etc.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:41 PM

I hope fall brings rain for everyone(but not to much) I know it has been much harder one stream west of here. I have been thinking about my fellow fly fishers as the streams became lower and lower.