Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-19-2012, 10:12 PM

Default Cataloochee?

Any of you guys fish it? Mind giving some advice? The opportunity has arrived to fish it this coming weekend with my g/f's dad, but neither of us have ever fished it. I realize this is a somewhat "secret" stream, so I hate to mention the name, but I don't know how else to find someone that has fished this stream a lot.

If you are willing to help, email me at MRL0004 at gmail dot com

Thanks!
Matt
Old 08-19-2012, 11:46 PM

Default No secret streams

Throw a parachute Adams or an elk wing caddis. They actually work on even the most secret of streams.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:56 PM

Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear, it's not what to use, etc. that I am worried about, it's where to fish. I have never been there, so it may be pretty obvious, but I'd rather get some idea ahead of time. We are wanting to fish the main Cataloochee creek, not the tribs. The other guy doesn't enjoy brook trout fishing. He wants the more average size rainbows and browns. Just didn't know where the best spot is for them?
Old 08-20-2012, 02:56 PM

I've always enjoyed fishing on the lower end of the valley over there. Really anywhere downstream of the campground has always been decent. The stream is not as large as you might expect and the brook trout will show up pretty much throughout the entire valley although you will catch some better rainbows and browns on the lower section. Don't be afraid to explore some of the smaller streams. I haven't fished them much but they look awesome and should provide consistent action. The Cataloochee proper is a fairly low gradient stream and with lower water the fish will be spooky. The higher gradient smaller tribs will produce more consistent fishing this time of year if you are looking for numbers...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 08-20-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
I've always enjoyed fishing on the lower end of the valley over there. Really anywhere downstream of the campground has always been decent. The stream is not as large as you might expect and the brook trout will show up pretty much throughout the entire valley although you will catch some better rainbows and browns on the lower section. Don't be afraid to explore some of the smaller streams. I haven't fished them much but they look awesome and should provide consistent action. The Cataloochee proper is a fairly low gradient stream and with lower water the fish will be spooky. The higher gradient smaller tribs will produce more consistent fishing this time of year if you are looking for numbers...
Thanks David! If it was up to me I would be solely in the tribs for brookies, but my g/f's dad wasn't crazy about that type of fishing, so we will probably stay lower.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:21 PM

Matt - Check your email. SC
Old 08-20-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stana Claus View Post
Matt - Check your email. SC
Thanks man. Already sent you one back.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:37 PM

I would skip it and fish Bradley Fork.