Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-28-2012, 10:09 AM

Default Rattler No Longer Rattles

Ran across this today. Too bad rattlesnakes are not extinct...yet

CLAYTON (CBS ATLANTA) - On July 3, Jim Lane, 66, said he was out picking blueberries near Coleman River Road when he stepped into a bush and two fangs from a rattlesnake pierced his right leg.

"He must have been asleep, because I never heard his rattle," Lane said. "When he hit my leg it was almost like a sledgehammer. He almost knocked my leg out from under me. It shot blood out of the two holes - my fang holes."

Lane said he stayed calm, looked down at the snake rearing up to strike again and pulled out his pistol.

"I looked down and I saw his head and he already was under the bush ready to strike again," Lane said. "I didn't have time to aim my pistol, so I just drew my pistol, flipped my safety as I was coming out, and pow. Praise the Lord the bullet hit his head."

It would take one more shot through the head to kill the snake.

"I said, ‘oh no buddy' and I put the gun right down on top of his head and fired straight through his brain," Lane said. "I made sure the snake was dead before I took care of myself."

Once the snake was dead, Lane said he pulled out his pocket knife and cut two deep holes into his leg where the fangs went in and started cutting to release the venom.

"I was trying to bleed as much as I could, so I started stabbing myself to the bone," Lane said. "The doctor said it saved my life because I released the pocket of venom."

Lane's truck was parked about 15 yards away, he tried taking a step to get to the truck and fell flat on his face.

For 45 minutes Lane said he crawled to the truck trying to reach his phone sitting in the cab. When he tried to unlock the door he put in the wrong key and jammed the lock.

Since he couldn't call 911 for help, Lane said he crawled into the middle of the road and waited for someone to help him.

"I laid in a position where I was completely across that road, where somebody would either have to stop and help me, or run over me. At that point, it just didn't matter. I knew I was dying," Lane said.

A brother and sister driving down the road from a hike saw Lane and got him help. He said Alicia and Brian Hunnicutt saved his life.

"They were like angels," Lane said.

On the helicopter he had to be brought back to life three times with a defribulator.

After spending two days in the hospital Lane was released. He is currently walking with a cane and has a lot of swelling in his right leg, from his ankle all the way up to his thigh.

"I am getting better every day," Lane said. "I am just glad I am where I am - he (the snake) is where he's at, dead. I am about to get tears now. You don't know - you don't know how much you cherish life. I am so thankful I am alive today, and God gave me another second to be with my wife."
Old 07-28-2012, 11:09 AM

No one recommends incising the wound at this time and his doc praises him for stabbing himself to the bone? He dropped pretty quick too. I bet it was from blood loss and not venom.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:25 PM

uh ... no tourniquet?
Old 07-28-2012, 06:03 PM

Its totally irresponsible for a newspaper to run this story. This guy put himself in more danger than the rattlesnake bite did. He needs to find a new doctor - bloodletting is so 1875. Modern medicine has dispel these old theories as doing more harm than good.

For anyone else reading this:

If you get bit by a rattlesnake or copperhead on the park, don't panic, dont start stabbing yourself and trying to bleed as much as possible. Just get your stuff together, leave immediately and get medical attention.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:08 PM

It goes against all that I have read. I understand not to bleed the wound or anything like that. My understanding most folks would be able to at least slowly walk to safety. I guess it could be no different from bees, some people react differently to the venom. I am glad he is now okay.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
uh ... no tourniquet?
Well yeah, he did that wrong as well: http://theclaytontribune.com/view/fu...ngNews_article
Old 08-05-2012, 09:41 AM

I read an article about guys that hunt rattlers out west and in the south. Seems that the snakes have become less likely to issue a warning rattle before striking. Therory is that they have learned that the rattling gives away their location and leaves them more likely to be harmed. Go figure.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:32 PM

This story is full of embellishment. The "my life was saved from releasing the pocket of venom" isn't true.

And if he coded three times on a helicopter, it almost certainly wasn't due to the snake bite. Now, he might have coded because he realized he pooped his pants, on the other hand.

You actually have to work pretty hard to die from a snake bite. Like fiddle around for hours before you seek care, stab yourself, etc., etc.

I'm not taking the things lightly, but snake bites are actually very rarely fatal. They are normally fatal only when people are stupid, like this guy.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mathews View Post
I read an article about guys that hunt rattlers out west and in the south. Seems that the snakes have become less likely to issue a warning rattle before striking. Therory is that they have learned that the rattling gives away their location and leaves them more likely to be harmed. Go figure.
actually, the rattling snakes are in a labor dispute and have gone on strike.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:02 PM

This guy is 66 years old? I have one theory as to why he didn't hear it rattle...