Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-04-2012, 10:22 AM

Default Camping

I was looking at taking my two boys to the Park to camp over the weekend of Oct. 5th.

I noticed Elkmont and Catalooch are filled up. If anyone has a reservation at either of those, and has to cancel, please pm me or let me know.

If anyone has any suggestions on any other car camping areas in or around the park, please let me know.

It would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 09-04-2012, 10:44 AM

I like camping at Smokemont at that time of year...Deep Creek is nice also... Good luck finding a reservation! It can be tough to get one that time of year...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-04-2012, 10:45 AM

You might consider Big Creek campground in the park off of the Waterville Rd exit on I 40 at the NC-TN border. It's 1st come 1st served and only 12 sites . Big Creek does not get a lot of pressure and there are a couple of good holes up the trail about a mile up (Midnight Hole) if you get there before anyy swimmers.

Mike
Old 09-04-2012, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I know it gets crowded this time of year. We went up last year, and it was pretty packed.
The boys had a ball though, and begged to go back this year.

I wouldn't have waited this late, but I just got the o.k. and some time to go.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:44 PM

Smokemont is great. Bradley Fork runs right by the campground and Cataloochee is just down the mountain. Cherokee isn't far away either. You can drive up to New Foound Gap and walk the AT for a bit too.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:25 AM

Scott...no way to pm you but I just checked the Elkmont reservations on the national reservation site and there is one site....J 1.....available for the dates you posted...hope you see this in time to get on line and reserve this site....
Old 09-05-2012, 11:08 PM

Rog. Saw it. Got it.

Thanks so much to all you guys for your replies.

The boys are fired up! My 10 year old has been talking about it since we went last year.

Scott
Old 09-06-2012, 08:06 AM

Scott,
For future reference we camped over at Big Cove in Cherokee twice this summer and had a blast. There are several campgrounds over there.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:04 PM

I will also give the "nod" to smokemont..........because of the bradley's fork and the other stream nearby that is honestly way too hard to spell............ Also, I will add that if you are dependent upon cell service, then deep creek campground is your place.....I can text with alltel up to the first campsite.......which is important to my son...who is a search and rescue, fireman, EMT.....I always tell him where I am going....and the last thing he tells me is........."Don't make me come after you!!!" It is great to be loved!!!! Anyway......glad you got your reservation.....have a great time.....
Old 09-07-2012, 11:08 AM

Scott...glad you were able to get into Elkmont...this is the best campground in the park in my humble opinion...my son grew up camping with me each year there and I can still manage to get him to go with me even now that he is in college...don't overlook Jakes Creek since you are on that side of the river...when my son was the age of yours he started fishing in Jake's on his "own"....the lower end thru the campground is shallow enough the kids can play and explore without worrying about them getting washed away...plenty of salamanders in there and always a trout or two waiting for a dry fly to come buy...enjoy