Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-14-2012, 08:36 AM

Default River Otter Mauls Man

Well, well, well...I warned them. Will the streams of the GSMNP be closed to protect us from the voracious trout (and man) eaters?

FRANKLIN, Venango County - A Pennsylvania Game Commission Wildlife Conservation Officer (WCO) is investigating the case of a river otter attacking an angler around 2 p.m. on Sept. 11, at the junction of French Creek and the Allegheny River, just off Ninth Street, adjacent to the Riverfront Park in Franklin, Venango County.

"This area is frequently used by the public, so we are encouraging park users to look out for any suspicious activity by river otters," said WCO Bimber, who will be checking the area today. "At this point, it is not clear what initiated the attack."

According to WCO Bimber, a 27-year-old Franklin man was wet wading and observed a river otter on the bike trail side of the river.

"The individual fishes the area often and said he didn't find the presence of a river otter to be unusual," WCO Bimber said. "He heard the otter enter the water and watched it swim at a diagonal to his position. The otter then turned and swam directly toward him. He made noise and slapped the water with his fishing rod unsuccessfully. The otter dove and proceeded to bite and scratch the victim.

"The angler sustained five bites to the leg and one on his big toe, along with numerous scratches to his legs. The incident ended when he was able to kick the otter in the head."

Following the attack, the angler got out of the water to seek medical attention. As he left the water, he lost sight of the otter. He sought medical attention.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:26 AM

Although there is some seriousness to this story, I couldn't help but laugh, especially about the bite to the big toe.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:38 AM

Several years ago there was a pair of otters in a spring run frequented by tubers that would swim out and attack the tubers ..... the otters were successful in puncturing several innertubes until they were caught and relocated.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
Several years ago there was a pair of otters in a spring run frequented by tubers that would swim out and attack the tubers ..... the otters were successful in puncturing several innertubes until they were caught and relocated.
Well if we could only train them to specifically attack the tubers, I know some places we could use some attack otters
Old 09-18-2012, 08:13 PM

Smile

I am currently training otters for just such a mission! Please send cash to the below PayPal account for support.......

Ottersagainsttubers.com
Old 09-22-2012, 12:47 AM

I've had them in the water with me but have never been attacked. I think it's because I'm a pacifist.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:56 PM

Default But that we could trust them...

River otters are notoriously unpredictable—one minute frolicking for streamside tourist, while at the drop of a hat they will pluck the eye balls out of small children and puppies. If memory serves me correctly, the last big bunch of river released in Tennessee back in the 1980s came from a supposed otter ranch in Louisiana who was getting out of that particular line of husbandry. Need I say more than to note that Louisiana is the home state of Kingfish Long? Everyone knows stories about him and his otter pals down in the bayous.

I am not categorically against river otters living in the GSMNP, but I feel very strongly that such animals should be regularly subjected to sensitivity training similar to the anger management classes the state of Alabama inflicts on me every couple of years. Otters left to their own shaky standards of moral behavior are just trouble waiting to happen. At the very least they need to understand current laws pertaining to harassment. That’s all I’ve got to say about that.