Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-26-2012, 08:09 PM

Default Caney Fork- Uh Oh

Interesting article from Middle Tennessee about the Caney. This is from Dekalb County. All of this has to do with all the kayak and canoe rental traffic that is dominating the river. There has been no proposal from any group in Nashville that I am aware of. This is from WJLE.com. Beware of kayak and canoe rental places on the Clinch, Holston, South Holston and Watuaga. Can you imagine fishing peach orchard or Millers with 300 plus canoes coming down the river. There would be no reason to buy a license in my opinion.

The county commission has taken a stand on a proposal by a group of Nashville fly fishermen who are apparently seeking to restrict canoeing on the Caney Fork River.

The commission Monday night adopted a non-binding resolution asking the appropriate governing authority to keep the Caney Fork open to all.

"We apparently have some fly fishermen out of Nashville that are wanting to ban kayakers and canoers from going down a public stream so that they can fly fish," said County Mayor Mike Foster. " We're not opposed to fly fishermen. We're not opposed to canoers. But we feel there is room there for everything and simply because it impacts our tourism dollars, we have a resolution which is non binding but issues our opinion on this," said Foster.

The resolution, adopted by the county commission, states that "Whereas, the Caney Fork River is a major tourism attraction for DeKalb County and surrounding areas and

Whereas, DeKalb County benefits form fishermen, boaters, wildlife viewers, and sightseers on the Caney Fork River and

Whereas, DeKalb County desires to cater to and attract people from all tourism functions and

Whereas, we do not wish to see the River compartmentalized, bound or set aside for any one group at the expense of the other and

Whereas, we feel with a little cooperation, courtesy and less selfishness, we feel the problem could be averted.

Now, therefore, be it resolved that the DeKalb County Commission, in regular session on September 24, 2012 recommends that no special zoning, compartmentalization or no special access-restricting activity be approved on the Caney Fork River"

The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency has scheduled a Caney Fork River stakeholder meeting immediately following the Tennessee Fish and Wildlife Commission (TFWC) meeting on Friday, Sept. 28 in TWRA's Region II Building. The TFWC meeting typically concludes around 10 a.m. The stakeholder meeting is likely to start around 10:15 and be over by 1 p.m.

The objectives for the stakeholder meeting are to give a brief overview of TWRA's management of the river, identify the latest issues, and present some ideas. Input from stakeholders concerning the issues and ideas on how to ensure that everyone can enjoy the river will be sought.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 PM

Do what I do tie on a number 2 cone head wholly buger and start casting like a wild man
Trust me they'll move on!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:58 PM

It is all part of the entertainment provided by a river system, and it is not limited to use by fishermen alone. While I do enjoy some level of solitude on the river, I consider it ridiculous that a particular group would try to prevent another group from using that resource. Especially when what they are doing presents no significant threat or injury to anybody. This is in dramatic contrast to the jet boat guys on the French Broad, who did not follow reasonable boating practices and were flirting with disaster.

If this were to happen on the Clinch, I would just continue to do what I have always done. Make time to fish the Clinch during quiet times like midweek or early morning on Saturdays and Sundays. in my experience most "fun"-yakers don't get out early in the morning as they are waiting for the sun to climb high.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 PM

I despise govt intrusion in stuff like this and would stand with the canoe rental companies to fight against any proposal to limit their traffic on our waterways. They have just as much right as we fisherman do, to enjoy the outdoors.

We can call coexist, and rather than work against these outfits it would be easier to work with them. I see no reason why a group of fisherman couldn't sit down with the business owners and form an agreement of gentleman. How hard would it be to limit launches until late morning or mid mid day to give the fisherman time on the river? Not at all, and this sort of arrangement if done with tact should be easily accomplished.

One thing that saves the Clinch in my opinion is the water temperatures. I know the Caney is cold, but the Clinch is cold in a special way, and dangerously cold.

I guess some on here weren't around when the canoe rental place was still open below Miller's Island, and they had little impact on the fishing. Since then another one tried to make a go of it 5-7 years ago and also failed.

The river is there for all of us, not just one group or another IMO.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:50 PM

[QUOTE=waterwolf;103389]
We can call coexist, and rather than work against these outfits it would be easier to work with them.
QUOTE]

This problem has been going on for years with one outfitter in particular, i'll be at the meeting myself.
It will be interesting to say the least.

Grumpy
Old 09-26-2012, 11:26 PM

I try and fish warm water fisheries now that don't have boaters...creeks etc. The Duck and the Elk ain't bad either.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:35 AM

Those of you who don't regularly fish the Caney need to head over and give it a shot so you know what you are talking about. I don't mind rental companies using the river, but when they are only taking from the resource and not giving back it is a little ridiculous. Having a steady parade of boats floating over the water I'm trying to fish is annoying to say the leastHaving been nearly run over by people in canoes who have no idea how to paddle or be polite to other users, I believe something needs to be done. If I'm going to be required to pay for a fishing license (a use fee), then boaters need to do the same. I understand someone could make an argument that the stocked trout need to be paid for. Fine, charge me for the trout stamp, but don't make me pay to fish any water that is managed as a wild fishery unless other resource users are going to pay as well. I just want to see consistency...that's my concern which I'm sure plenty will disagree with...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-27-2012, 06:44 AM

I have no issues with a use fee, and that should probably be implemented to make all of us have some skin in the game.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:33 AM

I agree with David. I've almost been hit twice while facing downstream with my back to the canoe/kayak traffic, and I don't fish the river that much. I also doubt all those cans just before the take out come from fly fishermen.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:10 AM

Drifter been hit several times, almost caused a client to go out of the boat once i really like sitting on the ramp for 40 minutes watching the women apply sunscreen, yeh right