Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 09-20-2012, 08:13 AM

Default Mellton Hill Musky

I'm heading out today, for my first time chasing musky. I'll be fishing from my drift boat around the bull run creek area. Any tips on how to find these toothy beast?

Thanks
Rodney
Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 AM

Rod,
I hear 'S' Pattern Retrieves... That is all I know about them. I hope you catch some. I am sure you can get some bass around that spot if you do not find a musky. Good luck!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-20-2012, 09:17 AM

Pick a big bushy fly that moves water. Cast at cover, strip fast, and repeat. When one follows, don't let your heart come out of your chest. Enjoy and good luck.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:03 AM

Rod, let me know how you do.
Dad and I have fished for them quite a few times and have had some follows, but no takes. Like gmreeves said, it really gets your heart racing. One in particular looked like an alligator coming out of the brush.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:15 PM

Well let's just say I got some oar time in this evening. Beat the banks and every lay down between bull run boat ramp to the railroad bridge and back. Nothing at all. I'm clueless here any tips would be great.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:41 PM

I hear the fly has to be at least 4" minimum to get them attracted.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:01 PM

I suspect the water is too warm in that area right now. Wait until it gets cold to try that area...and keep trying. Took me several trips before I finally hooked up with one...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-21-2012, 12:00 PM

I've never fished for them south of the Canadian border but would love to try. What fly were you throwing? My best success on the fly has been a big bob's banger like the one pictured. I throw it almost always and almost always get at least a follow. I fish them from calm sunny days to rainy windy days on unfished portage lakes and big lakes that get pounded with Mepps on baitcasters. They almost always produce. I would love to have the chance to chase Musky down south but my limited fishing time usually takes me to the mountains. My only advice is to keep going after them and fish a fly in the 6"-8" range that moves water, whether that top water or subsurface.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmreeves View Post
I've never fished for them south of the Canadian border but would love to try. What fly were you throwing? My best success on the fly has been a big bob's banger like the one pictured. I throw it almost always and almost always get at least a follow. I fish them from calm sunny days to rainy windy days on unfished portage lakes and big lakes that get pounded with Mepps on baitcasters. They almost always produce. I would love to have the chance to chase Musky down south but my limited fishing time usually takes me to the mountains. My only advice is to keep going after them and fish a fly in the 6"-8" range that moves water, whether that top water or subsurface.

gmreeves, shoot me an email if you don't mind. I have some questions about that fly but also some suggestions about musky if you are interested...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com