Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 09-18-2012, 05:36 PM

Default Suggestions Please

I am looking to take my wife and 2 dogs on a backpacking trip to include good stream time for me. I am not that familiar with the Cherokee areas (only place I can take dogs) and need advice on where to go. I am looking for a two night trip in early October with a easy to moderate hike. If you could give a fellow a hint and maybe some references to web information I would appreciate it.

I have already fished the Snowbird and the trail goes away after about the 4th mile in.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:45 PM

Bald River, Slickrock - search forum and also check Cherokee hiking club website.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:08 PM

Bald River is definitely a good option for you. Slickrock will be tough as it is browns only and they tend to be pretty spooky. Bald River has both 'bows and browns although that time of year you need to check about organized hunt dates. That will be a potential problem just about anywhere on the National Forest that time of year...even if the area is not closed to non-hunters, it can still be less than peaceful with lots of dogs and hunters around...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-19-2012, 07:48 AM

Remember that your dogs must be kept on a lease no longer than 20 ft. at all time when on game lands and national forest unless those dogs are used for hunting. In the Park you cant have dogs in the backcountry at all.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the replies so far, I am aware of the bear hunting and have not checked the dates yet, but I will. I am aware of the dog rules, I use E-Collars on mine and generally they are not too far from me. I wish they let dong in GSMNP as it would be easier, but I understand why.

Are there any areas that are closed to hunting that would still have fishable streams?

***** And of course the bear/dog season for Monroe County (Bald River) is over the holiday weekend, so that one is out.*****

Last edited by Drugcop4; 09-19-2012 at 12:27 PM..
Old 09-19-2012, 02:46 PM

Dupont state park might be a choice. Its in NC.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:11 PM

I have not heard of e collars so I googled them and read up on them. They seem to work and look great. Just be warned that NC laws specificly say "lease not longer than 20 foot". An e collar is not a lease. It is an electronic lease. I would just be very wary of this.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:41 AM

Drug cop4,

email me at breckdavis100@gmail.com

Breck
Old 09-27-2012, 10:03 AM

@ Breck you should have gotten an email

I think we may be heading toward the South Mills River in Pisgah. I realize that this is probably the wrong section but if anyone has ideas let me know. I am sure that it will be crowded but should not be any swimmers.