Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 AM

Default Browns on the move

Fished this past Monday. Man the browns are on the move. I saw a bunch of fish in the 18 -23''. No real monsters though. The fish were very spooky though. You could tell they weren't very comfortable being out exposed. Did manage one good fish about 16'' on a nymph. Rainbows are eating really good right now. I guess they can feel the winter and colder temps on the way. Water was very low. The rain last night will cure that problem. Fishing should be good this week with the increased flows.
Lynn
Old 10-02-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Hackle View Post
Fished this past Monday. Man the browns are on the move. I saw a bunch of fish in the 18 -23''. No real monsters though. The fish were very spooky though. You could tell they weren't very comfortable being out exposed. Did manage one good fish about 16'' on a nymph. Rainbows are eating really good right now. I guess they can feel the winter and colder temps on the way. Water was very low. The rain last night will cure that problem. Fishing should be good this week with the increased flows.
Lynn
Yum!
Time to get off these stupid tail waters!

4X
Old 10-02-2012, 12:54 PM

I would say with the rain we had the activity as far as spawning and fish just putting on the feed bag will increase alot. Now if we just get a good cold spell and all the leaves fall. It'll be Katy bar the door.
Lynn
Old 10-02-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Hackle View Post
I saw a bunch of fish in the 18 -23''. No real monsters though.
Those would be monsters to me!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL trout bum View Post
Those would be monsters to me!
Well I guess I'm going by what I saw last year. I can't ever remember big fish like that. I'm talking fish over 24 or 25''. Even a couple that to me looked 30''. I always have trouble at estimating lenght while their still in the water. I caught one last year that was approaching 24'' and I thought it was maybe twenty when I came upon it. That was the best day I've ever had in the park with 3 fish over 20'' in one day. I bet we have a good year this year too.
Lynn
Old 10-02-2012, 04:49 PM

Lynn, Hypothetical question from someone who rarely fishes the waters that hold these beasts. Say, for instance, you are fishing at or near dusk and the light is just still there enough to see in the water and you are in the process of changing flies when you see a good sized, 18"+ beast come out of his hiding spot from the back of run you just fished and take a place in the main current in the stream directly in front of where you are (like within 3 feet or so). The water is like it has been, low and clear. In this instance, what sort of fly do you go to what tactic would you use to present said fly. If this is too specific a sort of question than you want to put out on the internet, that's fine. I've just been curious as how to approach this sort of fall fishing time/spooky browns in general.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 PM

Well the first thing I do is wait. I know its getting dark but that fish still needs to settle in(most of the time). This has happened to me too and most of the time if you cast to soon you'll just spook it. I try to see if the fish will start taking naturals. The fly I would put on is gonna be an unweighted tellico or tennessee twenty incher. I want a fly that will sink but not to fast. If you hang up you'll really alert the fish. If it reacts to my nymph but doesn't eat I'll try one more drift just to see if its the fly or my presentation. Then I'll change to a fly that I have confidence in and restart the process. I'm assuming your hidden from the trout because if he can see you it's pretty much over.
Lynn
Old 10-02-2012, 05:32 PM

Just got back from a week of fishing in the Park...last Tuesday we hike up above Elkmont and began seeing some of the largest rainbows I have seen in years...it was early in the morning and the sun was coming in from the right side of the trail...looking down on a big pool there were a couple of bows at least 14" that kept coming out from a huge rock taking bugs on top of the water....my buddy and I caught more big fish last week than we have in years....don't overlook terrestrials right now...and big ones....love watching these trout go after a 10 or 12 PMX....they are smashing them with abandon right now.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:31 PM

I've been seeing more big bows too.14'' is a good bow anywhere. I think the river as a whole is in an upswing. Maybe those back to back droughts a couple of years ago really thinned out the herd. More food to go around I guess. Good to here the upper river is fishing good. Terrestrial should not be left out ,thanks for pointing that out. Beatles, ants and the like are still around in plenty of numbers. Did you see any browns up that way. There are some bruisers up that way too. What is a PMX.Would like to see that one.
Lynn
Old 10-02-2012, 09:12 PM

Lynn,

I agree, saw some good browns in a few different runs staging on Friday. The water was extremely low where I was fishing, and the fish were ultra spooky because of it. Haven't gotten out much this year at all, but it was my least successful outing of the year. Regardless, it was a beautiful day to be out and the leaves are starting to do their thing. I would like to go back in a week or so, but I am not to enthused by the upcoming RV gridlock associated with October. Unless I can get up there on a Tues/Wed, now that is an option...

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler