Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-16-2012, 06:54 PM

Default Deep Creek or Grand Central station ??

My fishing partner and I went to Deep Creek this morning to fish for some browns in the lower section of the creek....from the campground up to the first bridge....... within an hour we were joined by a group (6 guys I think) from Chattanooga who had come to fish the same area.... within another hour we were joind by a threesome........... not long after that we were joined by a single fisherman........ THATS 11-12 people fishing the same small area for wild browns........ we were running over the top of each other......

I'm not sure where one will have to go to find some wild trout water without alot of company....but I keep trying !!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:37 PM

Thumbs up Crowded Deep Creek

Drive over to Slickrock and take the trail, i can garrantee you some solitude and Browns!! They are eating smaller Buggers!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:47 PM

The distance you are willing to walk is inversely proportional to the number of people you will see on a stream. Take an hour stroll and you will likely be rewarded with solitude.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 PM

I fished there Sunday and Monday and only saw a few others. The fishing is MUCH better on up and you will find less of a crowd.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe a View Post
The distance you are willing to walk is inversely proportional to the number of people you will see on a stream. Take an hour stroll and you will likely be rewarded with solitude.
That didn't work on Forney last weekend. 7 miles from the top to 69 with over 3000 of elevation loss. When we got down to 2nd crossing below 69 ran into another fisherman. There were 4 at 70!

While what you said usually is true, I've had several trips this year where the complete opposite seems to be true
Old 10-17-2012, 11:25 AM

Default Consider the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
That didn't work on Forney last weekend. 7 miles from the top to 69 with over 3000 of elevation loss. When we got down to 2nd crossing below 69 ran into another fisherman. There were 4 at 70!

While what you said usually is true, I've had several trips this year where the complete opposite seems to be true
You also have to consider time of year. I have been told by a hotel owner that more people visit the Smokies in the month of October than any other month of the year. As much as I enjoy the scenery, I generally avoid the park in October for that reason. Last Thursday on my drive to Watauga, I-40 at 407 was already backed way up the interstate at 2:00 in the afternoon. There were a lot of people heading to the mountains last weekend. And sometimes you just have bad luck and another group of fishermen have selected the same area to focus their weekend on.

Since you are a seasoned Smokies angler, I would assume that you have witnessed the same trends that I have. A few simple rules I live by to avoid excessive frustration with crowds and poor etiquette:
  1. Never fish the first nice weekend in April
  2. Stay away in October
  3. Go to Troutfest, but don't even think about fishing

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 10-17-2012, 05:11 PM

I did that trip down to 69 from Clingaman's with my eight year old son last year. is 68 still closed? We saw three bears on our trip.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post

Old 10-17-2012, 06:32 PM

Default Added comment !!

I started fishing Deep Creek in 1959 and I have never seen the amount of interest in fly fishing that I have seen in the past few years..... its amazing and I guess this is a "good" thing depending on which way you look at it.... I just turned 70 last week and my days of "walking to a secluded stream" are about over... I always try to do my fishing during the week, pick streams that are not popular and in short do everything I can to avoid others ..... but theres just so much one can do !!!!
We have been making trips to Montana each year for the last several and this has helped satisfy my need to catch trout... we fished out there for 10 days this past July/August and in that time frame we saw 2 other fishermen
I truly love fishing the Park and will continue to do so as long as I'm able....I feel like I'm truly blessed to have been able to enjoy it as long as I have..... Thank you Lord !!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 PM

Good for you, and well said.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:42 PM

fearnofish,
You are an inspiration to all of us young guys,55 here,thanks .