Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-14-2012, 12:03 AM

Default Soho Saturday

Enjoyed a beautiful day on the Soho; only landed one brown, very colorful & no hatch where I fished but it sure beats staying home.

Had not fished it since last March and found it pretty much the same; crowded. Fortunately I found a new spot to try and found myself alone which was nice though I had to sit out for a while during the pulse.

Tried Hugh's TAN WULFF STYLE DRY with his split case on a dropper but struck out. Broke off a nice one on some ledge and pretty much threw all kinds of stuff to little avail.

Then two young fellow dropped down from above me and started catching fish fairly reliably; later found out they were from "away" and had never fished this water and were throwing San Juan Worms! Go figure? I spose I will try them next time.... never tied one or tied one on my point but I'll certainly give em a go next time I visit.

A long ride from Sevierville.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:06 PM

It is a haul but I bet the fall scenery was great.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:20 PM

Corbo,

I know a couple guys who fish up there almost exclusively with San Juan Worms, however I can't buy a strike on one.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 10-14-2012, 08:34 PM

The wife and I were up @ the Creeper biking last week. Their a little ahead of us as far as the leaves go. I'm like you I fish SJW alot of places but they dont produce well for me on the SH.The fish I have caught on them were pretty good ones though. Maybe it was just one of those days when they weren't eating good.
Lynn
Old 10-15-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Corbo,

I know a couple guys who fish up there almost exclusively with San Juan Worms, however I can't buy a strike on one.

Travis

I hear ya!

Hope you enjoyed the day Corbo!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 10-17-2012, 07:14 AM

The Soho is awesome when it's "ON" and a bit frustrating when it's off due to the long ride. Still figuring it out. Wish there was a better way to make plans ahead of time as to wading flows. Always very crowded.... looks like a "mini-golf" course.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:20 AM

Default So was I

I fished the So.Ho. Saturday and Sunday and the hatch (b.w.o.s and sulfurs) was minimal I was able to hook up with enough browns to make it a good day for me and my pal. We used #21 (yep #21) c.d.c. sulfurs with a #20 b.w.o. cripple as a dropper on 7X tippet.
Sunday it was different, not as many fish and after the pulse leaves were prolific. My most surprised observation was how small the fish were. I have never caught so many 6-9 inch fish. I did manage to land a very nice rainbow.
I love that river, its been 6 months since I was last there. It is my most favorite place to fish, the leaves were brilliant. She calls me back time and time again.
c.v.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:52 PM

Hopefully all the better fish haven't been sore lipped up there. Will be up there all next week. We hope to have some water to float at least part of the day. Looks like the temps may go up some next week.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:23 AM

Default my two cents worth

It would be a good idea to give Rod or Scooter at call at the south holston fly shop. Another good idea would be to take your b.w.o. and sulfur fly boxes. I have fished there for years and it is always a very good chance that some where every day on that river there is a hatch. Enjoy your trip, I'm fighting the urge to go back this weekend.
c.v.