Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-29-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g022271 View Post
Kinda got a little p.o.'d this past Friday myself and have decided to use my pontoon boat to avoid the crowds on the Clinch and also to avoid the potential for confronting rude inconsiderate fisherman. I was re-rigging my flyrod, sitting in my pontoon boat at he lower end of the "conga" line out in front of the canoe launch, when I looked up and saw 2 spinfishers move down below me and then upstream directly in front of me about 50 ft. I coudn't believe it and started to let them know what they had done, but my wife tells me I can be too blunt and a real a--hole at times, so I decided to take the highroad and just float down below them, when instead I wanted to put a hook in their hats. So, I am going to avoid the crowds, but next time ,should it happen again,I will educate the ignorant,,, cause as Woodrow Call said, "I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it!"

Mike

That is unfortunate that your day was tainted by some inconsiderate spincasting fisherman. Sadly enough, a good number of us who like to fly-fish have had similar experiences like this on the Clinch and other rivers as well. Recently, I have had a situation arise further south, where a fellow fly-fisherman walked up-stream on the opposite side of the river while the generators were turned off and literally started casting into the same pool I had been working for over an hour. After a few verbal exchanges over his unprofessional and disrespecting conduct, he remained un-phased by my remarks and was not going to move on. With that, I simply tide on 4x tippet with a weighted wooly bugger, casted over his dry-fly on 6x and broke him off. He got the point and after calling me a few explicative’s, moved down stream out of site and without further incident. The point of bringing this up is that there are inconsiderate people out there regardless of what river you are on and are not limited to spincasters in a boat or others chucking lead from the banks. I have put in at the Peach Orchard launch and floated down stream via canoe and fished the shoals with little to no pressure what so ever. After the generators are turned on, drifted on down stream and had great success with both streamers and dry sulphurs again with little to no pressure from others on the water. Perhaps you should consider that path.

Additionally I have found that fishing the Hiwassee and Tellico during the Delayed Harvest has certainly limited much of the activity associated to spincasters and lead throwers who are out there simply attempting to fill a creel basket. Maybe you should venture to some of these more protected waters during this time to avoid crowds as well.

Just my opinion for what it is worth.

Tight Lines!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:58 PM

Hey Flyman

What you suggested about floating certain parts of the river is exactly what I'm going to start doing ...I just have to take care of the logistics of putting in one place and taking out on downstream .....No big deal, really. Thanks

Mike
Old 11-29-2012, 02:15 PM

Default so.ho. also

fourx
I plan to drive northeast also Saturday. I have fished the sluce and it can be great. I'll be in the middle section parked in the not-so-new parking lot. I'll be fishing alone since my best fishing pal moved to Atlanta.
Try a few cripples, sometimes when the fish are persnickity, I can hook up on b.w.o. cripples under a c.d.c. sulfur.
If you fish Saturday, I'll be the semi gimped, middle aged man yelling profanities cause the fish keep refusing my best bug and drift.
c.v.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:28 PM

Hey CV,

Im staying with some guys on the deadend at the TVA road right above the weir.
Last time I fished near the weir it was insanely buggy!
Down at big springs rd. and rockhold it wasn't as buggy or fishy but it was much less crowded.
Look for me on the river, I'll be the only one with a metal chest-box on. If you see me holler!
Hopefully I'll be doing this-

Note the culvert in the background, is that the start of your "middle river"?

4X
Old 11-29-2012, 10:42 PM

Beautiful fish 4x
Old 11-29-2012, 11:43 PM

Given the current weather, duck season shall remain on hold till further notice. I too, am headed to the Soho early Saturday.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourx View Post
Look for me on the river, I'll be the only one with a metal chest-box on. If you see me holler!

4X
I was wandering what that was, I saw you in the parking lot last weekend. I was with Mike. I thought you may play accordion while the fish were not biting
Old 12-02-2012, 10:26 PM

Well, that was not a productive road trip to the Soho. How did you other guys do ? They were sluicing, but it was not a typical flow with that. Also, a huge concern, talked with one of the local fly shop guys and was told TVA cut the water completely off for a time.River bed got dry in places at a time when the browns have eggs in the redd's. I hope this is not as bad as it sounds.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:51 AM

Default So. Ho. stained

I fished the middle section, the water was stained. I did not see many bugs, a few b.w.o.s not many and not too many fish rising. I fished skinny water early and caught several fish on bead heads. When the sun rose above the river fish activity increased in the heavier water and I began hooking up on emergers.

I have found the fish smaller this year than any year I have fished the river. I encouraged one bait fisherman to take his limit and mine. If the sediment covers the redds and there are fewer hatchlings, it may improve the quality of fish.

It was, as usual, great to be on the river and hook up with my pals at the fly shop. I'll go back around Christmas, always do.
c.v.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:53 PM

The high sun made conditions rough this weekend.
Fished the upper and big springs areas sat. Saw enough bwo duns on the water that shouldv'e had fish up on top more but the sun was high. Caught quite a few fish on the double dropper rig and fishing a dropper close under a dry with success.
Sun. was tougher. Nearly bluebird skies had the trout skulking.
Saw a small but thick bwo hatch and a couple of brave trout rose to dries.
Sun., about 4, a small amount of sulfurs came off up high and the trout ate the duns a little during that 1 hr. hatch.
No pics for Dude, caught quite a few but none bigger'n 14".
Saw a guy sun. fight a nice fish forever and netted it. I asked him on the way out what it was and he said it was a 23" brown on a sulfur/6X. That's what I'm talking about.
I also saw a GIGANTIC brown eat 2 sulfur duns in a row sun. afternoon. I didn't even cast that way for 10 min. and it never rose again. I suspect this fish was over 12 lbs.. Sheesh.

4X