Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 11-23-2012, 10:49 AM

Smile 7'9" TFO Finesse

I am considering a 7'9" TFO finesse 3 wt for the spring. I have a 8'9" finesse 5 wt and really like it but I fish Wills creek in North East Alabama most of the time ,its narrow and lots of trees that i seem to find on a regular basis. I though a shorter rod might help( i also fish the smokies pretty often). Is the action on a shorter rod a lot differnt? I have never used ashort rod at all. I thought i might go by LRO and cast some and see. I also have a TFO Professional 4wt 8ft that i like ok and am cosidering going up a line size to see if I like that better. I would appreciate any advice. When I buy I'll buy from LRO.
Thanks
Chip
Old 11-23-2012, 01:20 PM

I have a TFO 7'9" 3wt Finesse series rod that is my go-to rod for pretty much all freestone mountain stream fishing. I have it paired with a WF3F Rio Gold line, and it casts like a dream (for me, at least). I sometimes switch over to a slightly stiffer 4wt when throwing heavily weighted tandem nymph rigs and on the tailwaters, but I use the 3wt Finesse as much as I can. I love that rod. Some folks seem to prefer a longer rod for high-sticking, but I've never found the 7'9" length to be a problem. Try it, I think you'll like it.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:55 AM

Personally, I do not think you need anything over 8' for wade fishing-excluding HS as previously stated. However; a longer rod is useful for some people when fishing from a boat.

The key is getting it paired with a good line taper. I would look for a shorter line and line taper if you are fishing the tight streams and utilizing shorter casts. You will find that accuracy and control are phenomenal.

The IM7 graphite fly rod blanks are one of the best fly rods I have ever used.
You will see one in my hands most of the time.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 11-24-2012, 12:37 PM

After fishing Cataloochee one day with my 9 foot 5wt and hitting my rod tip on overhead limbs, I got a TFO 7'6" 3wt pro. Love it for tight streams, use 4wt Wonderline, casts much better than 3wt line. It would be a good idea to try different rods before you buy, I cast a 3wt 7'9" Finesse and it was a little slow for me, but everybody's different. The shorter rod is also nice when your hiking a few miles.
Tad
Old 11-24-2012, 03:02 PM

i don't know about the tfo rod in mention but i just bought a 7' 7" scott g2 3 wt and wonder why have i owned anything else for the smokies. the shorter rods are definately nicer on the small streams. especially brookie fishing