Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-27-2012, 10:58 PM

Default Ah been thinkin'

Things are way too quiet around here. Surely someone has something controversial to assail the board. Feeling a lot better here—frisky in fact. It’s been months since I said anything that got me into trouble and almost four years since the last time I was arrested for anything of consequence. May be this will do it…

If you are fishing in the park and are padded down by a ranger who finds what he deems to be --- ah yes--- a Yallarhammar fly in your vest. My questions are:

a. Does the ranger have the right to seize you and your fly, or just your fly?
b. If he confiscates said alleged Yallarhammar, does he have to give you a receipt for your property?
c. Once confiscated, what obligations does the NPS have to prove that the fly is indeed one constructed of yellow-shafted woodpecker plums?
d. If they must make such a scientific determination, who does it and how long does the NPS have to keep you fly to complete this task.
e. If rangers can cherry pick your fly box, what is to stop them from taking everything to be analyzed?
f. Is it advisable to ask these questions?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:31 PM

I went, I posted. 224 views, not a single reply. I musta called somebody a bad name.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:45 AM

All fly fishing forumns are stagniant right now. Its like winter set in early. Expect spring fever early too. I think everyone stayed home to save thier money to shop with the wife on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Also, expect a baby boom in nine months.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:50 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kirk View Post
Things are way too quiet around here. Surely someone has something controversial to assail the board. Feeling a lot better here—frisky in fact. It’s been months since I said anything that got me into trouble and almost four years since the last time I was arrested for anything of consequence. May be this will do it…

If you are fishing in the park and are padded down by a ranger who finds what he deems to be --- ah yes--- a Yallarhammar fly in your vest. My questions are:

a. Does the ranger have the right to seize you and your fly, or just your fly?
b. If he confiscates said alleged Yallarhammar, does he have to give you a receipt for your property?
c. Once confiscated, what obligations does the NPS have to prove that the fly is indeed one constructed of yellow-shafted woodpecker plums?
d. If they must make such a scientific determination, who does it and how long does the NPS have to keep you fly to complete this task.
e. If rangers can cherry pick your fly box, what is to stop them from taking everything to be analyzed?
f. Is it advisable to ask these questions?

When we do the acid deposition samples we have to keep the radio on. Since hearing that under an ounce of weed will only get you a ticket, and court appearance without an arrest, I doubt you would get thrown in the pokey for the yellowhammer

b - I think your ticket telling you court date serves as receipt

c - With the biodiversity team at the roaring fork, they actually might be able to figure that one out (after intense study)

d - I would guess if it turned out to be a legal one, your grandkids might get it back in 50 years or so

e - Hopefully DW doesn't fish

f - No - please delete ASAP - OOh no it's too late

And the rangers are bad enough to deal with - but PLEASE Don - Don't get Paula involved - She's the real Yellowhammer (well maybe redish yellow)
Old 11-28-2012, 11:14 AM

I'll admit...I've been slackin' lately.
Been fishing a few times, and even a couple of trips that involved camping in the backcountry.
Just haven't really had the time to sit down, upload photos, and write anything worth reading.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
I'll admit...I've been slackin' lately.
Been fishing a few times, and even a couple of trips that involved camping in the backcountry.
Just haven't really had the time to sit down, upload photos, and write anything worth reading.
Most people just look at the photos anyways!
Old 12-02-2012, 11:45 PM

Default Flicker fly

I have fake yellowhammers in my vest but how do you fish them? They don't float well and don't sink quickly. Mr. Kirk, are you feeling better or still on the meds? No rangers ever check my tags, little less my flies and I see folks fishing with live bait anywhere I go in the GSMNP. If the cops are checking you out, you must have a heck of a reputation. Don, the magazine's looking good. thanks ROB
Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 AM

Once had a local fisherman give me a yallerhammer over on Roaring Fork....said that was the only fly he used....he told me to cast the fly into the white water at the head of the pool and hold on.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:13 PM

Default Yellow Hammers

Eddy George gave me some real Yellow Hammers at a TU meeting about 15 years ago or longer. Jim was sitting next to me. The three of us looked them over, commented about how well they were tied and I stuck them in my pocket and thanked Eddy. We talked about the fact that they were tied using flicker feathers, not a substitute. Jim laughed when I asked if I could get into trouble in the Park with those flies. He didn't say anything, he just laughed.

Jim was a Federal Judge and a friend of mine who has passed away. Those flies are still in one of my fly boxes. I never used them.

Byron
Old 12-05-2012, 01:59 PM

I was walking on my farm the other day, when I came upon a feather...

4X