Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-01-2012, 08:55 AM

Post Hot Pattern for Winter Midges!

Subject: Midge Emerger Pattern *YouTube video Link

Just thought I would share this pattern again for those that are interested and for those that enjoy fishing dries and emergers. This pattern works great during the winter midge hatches. Just change your colors to match the hatch if you want to be more specific. However; black works very well most of the time.
  • Be sure and coat with some type of floatant gel/grease before wetting the fly.
    • Then, coat your tippet with Gink (Wet) sinking gel to ensure the tippet sinks.
  • Follow up intermittently by drying the fly with dissect-ant powder to maintain a good float.
  • Don't be afraid to cast right in to a rise with this fly.
  • Use slight bumps to entice takes.
Pattern Tying Instructional:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xgtPhBQahM
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 12-12-2012 at 07:50 AM..
Old 12-01-2012, 10:26 AM

What sizes are you tying this in? I tried this pattern sometime ago but was disappointed with the results. Like many other flies I thought it would be just the ticket for trout sipping on midges. I always thought maybe I tied it too large. I was using about a size 18 or 20. I never got around to tying some size 24 or 26. Thanks
Old 12-01-2012, 12:47 PM

Actually, I tie it in large patterns (#14-16). The key is to get the trout to hit it out of instinct rather than focusing on presentation alone. Remember to give it a little action...

Also; I prefer to use nymph hooks and I put a scud bend in the hook with pliers. I like to shape the hook to suit the pattern.

This pattern worked very well at sunset last night. I could not keep them off of it.

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 12-02-2012 at 07:41 AM..
Old 12-05-2012, 10:58 AM

Default hot pattern

I like the looks of the bug M.B. I want to clarify one ingredient, is the copper wire 'brasie' wire ?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeye valdez View Post
I like the looks of the bug M.B. I want to clarify one ingredient, is the copper wire 'brasie' wire ?
CV-I am not sure what you are asking...I think you want to know if it is wire designed specifically for tying brassie patterns(?) Not sure about that...

Any wire will work.

However; I like to
  • focus the weight/center of gravity on the gape of the hook so that the fly pierces the surface film easily;*(I often use nymph hooks)
  • but, catches on the hackle wings,
  • and is supported (floats) by the foam.
Note: the pattern imitation is not the key point.
*The key is fly "utility" design and dynamic presentation.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
i use brassie size wire on my midge patterns
Old 12-10-2012, 10:47 AM

Default sounds like

a cripple based on your description M.B. I was asking whether the wire is brassie wire, 77 answered that. I use a 102 Y hook when I tie cripples. I like that hook, and it floats with the gape in the water.
Another question, would you tie it without a tail. If you're objective is to drift with only the hackle above the film, seems like no tail would work.
I fished the clinch Saturday, the midge hatch was minimal and zebras worked sparingly. I have not mastered your pattern so I couldn't give it a try. I'll continue to work on it. Rainy days are perfect for tying, unless you're chained to a desk as I am.
c.v.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
a cripple based on your description M.B. I was asking whether the wire is brassie wire, 77 answered that. I use a 102 Y hook when I tie cripples. I like that hook, and it floats with the gape in the water.
Another question, would you tie it without a tail. If you're objective is to drift with only the hackle above the film, seems like no tail would work.
I fished the clinch Saturday, the midge hatch was minimal and zebras worked sparingly. I have not mastered your pattern so I couldn't give it a try. I'll continue to work on it. Rainy days are perfect for tying, unless you're chained to a desk as I am.
c.v.
CV,
Try your own variations and do not worry about getting it perfect. If you have an underwater camera; take a picture of it while it sits in the film. Do this after you have thrown it a few times to get an accurate presentation. Then; you can adjust the pattern from any obvious issues you see in the pictures.

Also; I like for this fly to be able to drag through the surface film with the gape underwater and the hackle and foam on top. Some of my variations have some bright fabric foam paint on top so that a I can see them better.

I do not fish this as a cast and drift fly. It works ok with that style. However; I like to force the issue by putting it in front of the fish and making them follow their predatory instinct before they can utilize any of their cognitive traits.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:15 PM

M.B.
I tied one of the midges up right before I went out today just to see how awesome it looks on the water. Unfortunately I did not see a ton of riser but fished with it for awhile but I could not seem to find a happy medium between it floating high and it sinking. When you fish it can you see the fly or are you strictly going on feel.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetroutman View Post
M.B.
I tied one of the midges up right before I went out today just to see how awesome it looks on the water. Unfortunately I did not see a ton of riser but fished with it for awhile but I could not seem to find a happy medium between it floating high and it sinking. When you fish it can you see the fly or are you strictly going on feel.
joetroutman,
To clarify, this pattern needs a good (bug) hatch to be effective. Then; you need to fish it to a rise, or fast water, or close to the bank (structures).

If those conditions are not available; it is blind faith fishing at best.

I like to fish this pattern at sunrise and SUNSET with sunset being one of the best times. However; if you have a steady rise; throw it to them and work it.

The key is to get it to float and use slight bumps; it is a fine line to not immerse the fly. The best action is when you get a faint ripple around the fly.

Try changing to a larger hook, adding more foam, adding more hackle, etc. to keep it from sinking.

If you have a hard time seeing it; fish it closer and crouch down and use a stealthier approach.

I will try and shoot a video this weekend to help illustrate some of my ideas.

Be careful to not get locked in to one pattern. I meant to share this pattern to supplement a winter pattern collection for the Clinch River. I enjoy fishing dries/emergers and this pattern has always done me well.