Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 12-16-2012, 02:39 AM

Default Wilmington, NY

Out of all the numerous fishing excursions I had this year, getting back up to where I call home and doing some fall flyfishing, had to be about as good as it got... With the chance for snow, sometimes even before Halloween, you definitely need to take advantage of any nice warm weather in September/October and are obligated to go hit the river.

Unfortunately, my trip didn't start off too well and if it wasn't for a VERY helpful fly shop, I would not have had the trip that I did...
Scenario: 8:30am on a beautiful, crisp, Adirondack morning and I am just getting dressed/rigged up after taking a few minutes to watch the trout already starting to rise... In blows a car out of nowhere with Jersey plates and this guy hops out, pulls a rod out of the trunk, lights a smoke and starts fishing my hole... After standing right next to him for a few minutes and not even being acknowledged, I gave up and moved down river. Of course, trying to enter the river in an unfamiliar spot, I slipped on some mud and of all things an old railroad tie catches my waders and rips a nice big hole in my Simms...

Long story short but I found a little local fly shop and after hearing my story, they were willing to let me use a rental pair for free and called their rep who overnighted a pair of G3 Guide waders for me... I was kinda looking for a reason to upgrade so in the end I guess it worked out for the best...

Back out on the river again...
So, back out fishing and having a grand ole time, lobbing streamers for some chunky browns, in my ultra comfortable new waders, on a beautiful, sunny, fall afternoon. Life is good...!!!

Scenario: I come upon a shady, deep, pocket with an undercut boulder and I thought, 'has to be a brownie down in there' drift, drift, drift, BUMP!! I knew someone would be home!! drift, drift, drift, SLAM!! Ohh yeah.. it was a solid fish!! Well, much to my surprise, hanging out in big ole brown trout territory, is this beautiful 17" rainbow that I bring to the net..?!? Here I was without my camera and my cell phone decides to die all before I could get a picture!!! I decided to call it an afternoon and still glowing from that fish, I headed for some lunch. Swinging by the fly shop, they were all intent on hearing about the big bow but sorry that they weren't able to see it. I said, 'maybe I will have to go back out there tomorrow with my camera and catch him again.' Everyone laughs, 'wouldn't that be something??'
Next day: fishing, fishing, brown, brown, fishing, why look...?? It's that nice shady little pocket... so do I try it again?? drift, drift, drift, BUMP!! At this point I really did get quite excited to say the least... drift, drift, drift, SLAM!! and just like that, I was hooked up with not only another fish but the exact same fish that I had caught the previous day!! brought to the net and taped, was EXACTLY the same. I happily shot several quick pics and couldn't wait to get back to the fly shop...

Long story short, they couldn't believe it when I told them the story and showed them the photos. So, the co-owner of the shop, who is out fishing in MT btw... calls back and said 'who did you get to buy the fancy expensive Simms waders??' She answers back 'a guy who really knows what the f*** he's doing.' I'm sorry but that did kinda made my day, so I wanted to share...

Well, enough talk and on to the fish!!!

A nice day to be on the water...

Some nice local brownies...

To be continued...
Old 12-16-2012, 02:57 AM

This guy hammered a yellow sulphur just as it was about to leave the tailout and fought like crazy!! Definitely a good fish...

A beautiful sunrise heading to the river from my campsite...

Here are the Olympic ski jumps in the morning mist...

I had to work so hard for this guy.. fish were rising all around but I ended up going down to 7x with a size #20 BWO before I finally got a take. Broke off a real nice one and brought this one to the net. I had been giving another angler some pointers who still happened to be near by and he graciously offered to take a pic for me...

A nice little bow I picked up out of some pocket water...

And of course, the famous, caught twice in two days, 17.5" bow...

Tight Lines,
Old 12-16-2012, 01:47 PM

Great pictures and report! Good to see you back on here again. I was wondering what became of you...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 12-16-2012, 04:12 PM

great report and great pictures thanks. makes me want to visit ny
Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 AM

Great report and pics. I love that area. Was fortunate enough to fish there this summer, West Branch and Indian Pass Brook, and the fishing was great. Had a similar experiance as to yours with people squeezing in on the WB but I come to expect that up there. Alot of folks make to 3 hour drive up from the south and they are gonna get their spot whether you are there or not. Water was low this summer, looks like they were the same in Sept.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:37 PM

Hoosier,
Email me if you plan to get back up there next year. I will give you some 411 on the WB and where to fish... tnflyfisher at yahoo
And yes, water was still low in the fall. Actually, the fishing was still pretty good regardless. It also caused a lot of fish in the lower reaches of the WB to search out colder, more oxygenated water. Now, if you are familiar with the area, you knew right where they would be and that made for some fantastic fishing...

Tight Lines,
Old 12-17-2012, 03:49 PM

Thanks. will do if I go that way. I hope to but we are planning an out West trip this year. But I still hope to go back and visit family. Appreciate it. Where did you camp, ADK Log? I'm guessing some of the landscape picks were taken close to Rt 73, maybe on ADK Log road itself.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:13 PM

DK - I was actually being held hostage by the river for the last six months and it was terrible!!!! The fish were abusing and torturing me to no end... I luckily managed to escape but only here recently and that's why I have been MIA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Where did you camp, ADK Log? I'm guessing some of the landscape picks were taken close to Rt 73, maybe on ADK Log road itself.
These pics were in fact taken in that very same area. If you were to turn onto ADK Loj Rd, off of Rt. 73, about three miles down there is a Rd. called South Meadows. This is one of the primary staging areas for expeditions into the high peaks, especially Mt. Marcy. Along the road are several designated, primitive and best of all free campsites, where all you have to do is pull in and set up your tent. Now, there are no restrooms at all and open fires are not allowed however, it does make a great basecamp for anyone who is fishing the WB area... Ohh... and sometimes you have to be OK with annoying neighbors. Just about every night around 4am, this pack of coyotes would all start talking to each other and wake me up... Now, when you hear them out in the woods is one thing but when they are close enough that you can hear them running through the woods outside your tent is another. You just have to realize that it is still mainly wilderness up there so keep that in mind...

Tight Lines,