Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-12-2013, 10:36 PM

Default Wading Staff ~~ who uses what !!

Well I've gotten numerous opinions from folks on the NC side of the mountain about wading staffs who uses them and why........ So I thought I'd get some opinions from the Tn. side ......... What is your favorite ?? and why ..
Old 01-12-2013, 11:08 PM

If you have never fished the Hiwassee, a wading staff is like having third leg. Walking into this river is comparable to walking on a tight rope; If I am not mistaken the Flying Wallenda's get their training for the high wire acts by wading out in this river. The rock base of this river is cut back and slick as snot, I cannot tell you how many times I have seen guys without a wading staff go down in this river no matter how experienced they are. Whenever I go there with a new person, I ask them before we walk out, "got your wading staff?" When they say no, I break off a piece of the wild bamboo growing around the river and we are good to go. God placed that bamboo there for a reason, believe me I know!!!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:15 AM

Sometimes I take one of my hiking poles. Someone gave me the orvis collapsible wading staff but I don't use it at all. It definitely packs down nice but I think the sections come apart too easily and that's a huge pain should the top get a little stuck as you are hiking/ crossing the stream. I really only ever take one in high water conditions. That's my experience.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:04 AM

I use one of my old Leki trekking poles with a carbide tip. I also have a caribiner on the strap to hook it to me when I'm fishing.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:26 AM

no trails on the streams i fish, makes going back down the streams a lot easier, sometimes just getting up them easier.

Grumpy
Old 01-13-2013, 10:44 AM

I have a cheap collapsible staff that that I won in a TU drawing and I love it, pull it out of the pouch on my wading belt with one hand and it snaps together, it's like having a handle in the middle of the river. It has saved my hind end and equipment from getting soaked many times. Also I've saved a lot of flies I would normally have to break off.
Tad
Old 01-13-2013, 04:09 PM

I and my wife have several but the best is a Simms collapsible. I do not use one all of the time but have to admit they are handy as heck.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:13 PM

Default Wading Staff

After falling in the freezing river twice, yes twice, I bought the Black Diamond Z-Pole from Orvis up in Sevierville from Mr. Kris Mauer. I have used it here in the park, in the South Holston probably 15-20 times, used it on steelhead several times up in Northeast Ohio (Steelhead Alley), to the Orvis lodge in Monterville, WV on the Elk River, and even on a week-long salmon trip this past year to the Pere Marquette River @ Barothy Lodge. I will say that my 1st one had to be sent back because it got vapor-locked and they honored it with no questions asked. I like the design better than the shock cord style of say the Simms. Just my 2 cents worth but I'm glad I bought this one. Hope this helps. Harry Crabtree in Nolensville, TN
Old 01-14-2013, 02:53 PM

Probably everyone has an old ski pole or access to one, for a cheap but effective wading pole, just knock the plastic basket off at the bottom with a screwdriver for a chisel and a hammer, put a carabiner in the loop at the bottom of your vest to the loop of ski handle, may need to add a loop of bungee to carabiner to extend length while clinmbing or rock hopping and off you go. May not be pretty but pretty cheap and no trout has ever complained about the look!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:37 PM

like the caribiner idea going to use that