Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-14-2013, 08:49 PM

I use a hiking staff with a carbide tip from the happy hiker in gatlingburg. I attach a caribiner to three feet of 550 cord and then a caribiner to the wading staff. The first caribiner i attach to my wading belt and when I get in the creek I just let it drop to my side when casting. If the staff floats down I just have to pull on the string and it pulls my staff back to me.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:04 AM

I use a carbide tipped, telescopically adjustable, William Joseph wading staff with a caribiner and a four foot length of bungee cord attached to my wading belt. It floats so it just trails behind me when I'm casting upstream or across stream. One thing about these telescopic adjustable staffs that I have learned is to take them apart and apply silicone grease to the adjustable joint. That way the aluminum joint doesn't corrode when drying out and become frozen. Best investment I've made for fishing on the snot rocks in the park besides my felts.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 02-02-2013, 11:10 AM

Fishing the streams just outside the NE of Yellowstone, I found my wife was complaining of aches and pains to her back to where she didn't want to fish. After I having her use a hiking stick when walking through the cobble, we do little deep wading, her back got better and fishing enjoyable
Old 02-10-2013, 08:19 PM

Well; I would be lost without my FLYCATCHER brand staff and have used it for many many years. It is solid aluminum, about 44 inches and has another tube inside that can be extended to near double the total length. On top there is a "hook" that collapses that can be used to HAUL down branches to retrieve your your fly.

Like so many others I have it on paracord hitched to my waders strap AND let it dangle in the current though I sometimes get my line tangled upon it.

WHY? I crushed my fight foot/ankle back in 86 and the ****ed thing has been fused three times so I have no lateral motion OR BALANCE AT ALL on that leg. Most useful in the Sevierville freestone stuff, Below Cherokee especially Nances where there is lots of Cobble... on the Clinch it depends on the bottom.

Oddly I still manage to take some very serious diggers every year... can anyone recommend ELBOW PADS?