Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-15-2013, 02:39 PM

Default making a creel.

been a while since I've been on here. Winter is my hunting season, so with spring on the way I starting to prepare for Spring Break fishing!!!

I'm an art teacher and would like to weave myself a trout creel (to use) as to show weaving techniques and such to my HS art class. Is there a traditional applachian pattern or technique? All google searches haven't been too instructional. Any ideas or helps would be appreciated.

thanks.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:01 AM

Found some stuff that may help...I have never weaved a basket. So; this is information I have found and my perspective on weaving a creel.

Basic Weaving:
http://www.art-rageous.net/Weaving.html

Creels {Reference}:
http://website.lineone.net/~luichart...ns/creels.html

I think you should be able to get started with that information. Especially if you are a crafty man. I would make a smaller-scale version first by using craft paper to make a pattern. Once you tweak the shape; just scale it up.

I would focus my research and information gathering on traditional basket making techniques. Then; just use those techniques to build your custom creel.

Be sure and share the results for us if you make some. I thoroughly enjoy these type of projects. Good luck!

I was surprised how expensive some of the classic creels retail for on the internet.
to choose, to respond, to change.”