Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-18-2013, 06:20 PM

Default Cherohala skyway landslide

In case you didn't see in Byrons report this morning, there was also a major slide on Cherohala Skyway on the NC side

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/ja...etween-nc-and/

http://www.grahamstar.com/articles/2...0449359649.txt

I wonder how many trails in the backcountry are seriously messed up...
Old 01-18-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
In case you didn't see in Byrons report this morning, there was also a major slide on Cherohala Skyway on the NC side

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/ja...etween-nc-and/

http://www.grahamstar.com/articles/2...0449359649.txt

I wonder how many trails in the backcountry are seriously messed up...

I wonder if the Skyway is actually shut off at Joyce Kilmer or just a warning posted. One article said it was closed at the TN line. There are plenty of destinations in between including one of my favorite at Citico Wilderness area. Hey Stan, you up for a road trip?

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 01-18-2013, 07:44 PM

It's closed from the TN side at the state line, and at Joyce Kilmer on the NC side
Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefeather View Post
Hey Stan, you up for a road trip?
I was out that way last Sunday before the deluge began and did pretty well for this time of year. But I think we might need to wait a few days for the water to come back down to a fishable level. As of 8:00 this evening the Tellico is still running about 1500cfm, so I'd say it's safe to assume everything else in the area is pretty blown out as well. But when are you coming back down this way? Give me a shout and we'll definitely get together.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stana Claus View Post
I was out that way last Sunday before the deluge began and did pretty well for this time of year. But I think we might need to wait a few days for the water to come back down to a fishable level. As of 8:00 this evening the Tellico is still running about 1500cfm, so I'd say it's safe to assume everything else in the area is pretty blown out as well. But when are you coming back down this way? Give me a shout and we'll definitely get together.

Did you fish the North river and how did you do? I'm wondering if that gravel road we took back to Citico is still there after all that rain.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stana Claus View Post
Citico is still running at a kayakable level. Good call Stan
Old 01-19-2013, 01:01 PM

duckypaddler,

Do you know if there has been any other road damage in the vicintiy of the Skyway, like Indian Bounday Road or O'dell Road by the camp ground (trails 95, 96 area)?

Old 01-19-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefeather View Post
Did you fish the North river and how did you do? I'm wondering if that gravel road we took back to Citico is still there after all that rain.
Yes, I was on the North last week and caught 10 and had another 5 or 6 come unpinned before I got them to hand with all but 2 on a dry fly. As for the access roads into Citico and other areas, the USFS doesn't have anything posted on their website regarding any washouts or closures, and their offices are closed for the weekend, but I may try to give them a call next week and get a damage report. I'll let you know what I can find out.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:11 PM

Smile I ran the Tellico today

The Upper was still too big for me, so we ran the Middle. Big Water, my buddy (67) had a few good swims. Walked Crack in the rock, and even had to get out my throw rope and use it (tend to use once every 10 years). I realized after many throws my aim sucks and I need to practice throwing it.

Tons of boaters have been on Citico and I believe its all good as well as DoubleCamp, didn't drive up as far as North, but doubt there were any issues.

There were some new trees including a Spruce that had to be 90+ feet tall washed down the river, but nothing in play for us boaters. There were also some new rock falls from the river cresting to 11 feet, but no major slides or anything like that.

Really wanted to paddle the Smokies today. Road to Greenbrier was Closed. Couldn't get to Elkmont so that was out. Tremont rd was supposedly closed, and we even were going to do Upper Abrams, but Foothills Pkwy was closed making the shuttle over 2 hours one way

Glad we live close to so many options, and hopefully they will get more roads open by tomorrow
Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 PM

I hiked elkmont, just had to start from the road. Did see some boaters. Upper tremont was closed but there were a lot of boaters there too. My friend hiked all the way to the top of tremont road and said there wasn't a single thing in the road or any ice or snow on it that would justify its closure. I can say the same for the elkmont road. It is almost like the park is plotting against the kayakers?