Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 02-01-2013, 12:35 PM

Default What Kind of Indicator I Use

I was wondering what kind of indicator(s) is favored most and was hoping someone more skilled than me would set up a poll chart like some have done recently (i.e...number of days planning to fish , and the one with the # of years tying flys)..so we could see what guys tend to use most.

Mike
Old 02-01-2013, 01:57 PM

Mike:

I have used a variety of strike indicators over the years each having pro's and con's. But when it comes to using small nymph patterns, there is one that I like that and in my opinion is heads above the rest. Years ago, I met a guy (Barry Dombro) while fishing the Clinch. While making a trip back to the Clinch early last year, just happened to run into him again. He told me about a strike indicator that he was patenting and proceeded to show it too me. I have to admit, the approach is simple to use, quick to set up and adjust and most importantly, very effective. Barry mailed a couple to me, I have used it ever since and it is reusable. I showed this strike indicator to the fly shops down on the Hiwassee, both now carry this in their stores. You can see this along with a demonstration at strikeindicator.com It well worth the time and money to check this out and purchase for yourself. If you do, tell Barry that Doug referred you and said hello!
Old 02-01-2013, 03:38 PM

I'll second the strike indicators that flyman01 is talking about. Great for many applications involving light to medium weight nymphs. For deeper nymph rigs with lots of weight, I like either Thingamabobbers or a good yarn indicator with an o-ring. Both of these work great although the Thingamabobbers tend to slide on your leader unless they are on the heavy butt section of the leader. A way to remedy this at least to some extent is to fill in the little metal ring with some aqua seal. It provides a nice rubbery surface with plenty of friction for the leader to bite into. I believe Chemeangler has another good method that he uses to help the Thingamabobber work better. Hopefully he will chime in here because he is very effective with that rig...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://troutzoneanglers.com
http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com

Old 02-01-2013, 04:00 PM

David, if you ever go down to Pagosa to fish the San Juan, I've got a good friend who has a rental house that he may give a good deal on. If you or anyone else who reads this is interested let me know and I'll get the vrbo number of the house so you can check it out.

Mike