Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Troutfest

Old 09-02-2013, 10:53 PM

Default Troutfest 2013.... What happened?

Why did Troutfest not come off this year?
Old 09-03-2013, 08:29 AM

They took a break, to give folks a rest.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:56 PM

I believe there were also some issues with scheduling conflicts with other events and or venues, but don't quote me on that.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:32 PM

From the Troutfest web site:
"The Little River Chapter of Trout Unlimited will not hold a Troutfest event in 2013. The Chapter is taking a year off to examine other opportunities/formats for the future Troutfest events. Thank you for all your support over the past 9 years, and we’ll be sure to keep you updated when we have more information."

More info at http://www.troutfest.org/

Many of the Troutfest worker bee volunteers have been LRCTU members, but "many more have come from other non-profit organizations such as other TU Chapters, The Fly Fishing Federation and individuals who are not connected with non-profit organizations..."

As in the past, a person would not need to be a TU member to volunteer or participate in future Troutfest events. My personal thinking is that some may wish to join the Chapter well in advance of spring as a way of demonstrating potential Troutfest (and other function) volunteerism to chapter leadership. For more information or to join, visit the "Join our Chapter" page at http://www.lrctu.org/Join/body_join.html .
Old 09-25-2013, 03:44 PM

Looks like it's off for 2014 too!!?? Too bad, it was a nice show.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:56 PM

Default WWW Southern Trout Fly Fishing Fair

February 1st, 2014 is the first Wilderness Wildlife Week/Southern Trout Fly Fishing will be held at the LeConte Center, Pigeon Forge. It's our first attempt at such an event, so I am fonfident it will fall short of always spectactular Troutfest events. However, it is a start, and the venue is indoors and the place is incredibly nice. The LeConte Center is a $47million structure. It is the 24th WWW (started by Ken Jenkins, son of fly tyer/photographer Kirk Jenkins). The WWW are really behind this thing, so you will see it promoted a lot of places. We have day long programs focused on fly fishing for trout in ET and tyers coming in from NC, SC, GA, VA and TN.

WWW draws about 30,000 people. The event is free. I would love to partner up with some sort of fund raiser for Casting For Recovery or some other veteran's assistance organizations. Anyone with ideas on this, please email. The next issue of Southern Trout that comes out next week (Oct. 1st) has a two page spread ad with a speaker/program list. Frankly the ad looks pretty good. Oh yeah, there is no admission charge. Just one of those deals where you come and have fun like Troutfest always was.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:33 PM

Troutfest was a great event and during those years, the Little River Chapter of TU raised a lot of money to donate to the Park. Additionally, thousands of people attended and enjoyed it.

What many people don't realize is the time commitment involved for some of the volunteers. I served as chairman, website designer and handled vendors for three years. I don't think I ever worked less than 200 hours per year on the event during that time. Other volunteers donated that many hours or more. Some worked half that many hours but that is still a huge commitment.

Without new people to come on board and take over for some of us, we got tired of doing it.

Also, since this was an outdoor event, the perfect storm on Friday night had the potential to destroy the event, leave the vendors without a venue, banquet tickets proceeds would be refunded and basically, the TU Chapter would be broke. Fly fishing manufacturers spent a lot of money getting here and paying for the celebrities. We spent $7,000 just to rent the tents, tables and chairs. The risk of holding an expensive outdoor event was troublesome for many of us. We never looked into event insurance.

I think the Little River Chapter will hold a fundraiser banquet in 2014. I am certain it will be a great event and I'm looking forward to it. We have great leadership in place to make this happen.

Byron
Old 11-26-2013, 12:36 PM

I don't think the average person has any idea how much time and planning an event like that takes. Not to mention how many man hours it takes to make the show run. It was fun while it lasted and it was my favorite event to tie at. Maybe some time in the future circumstances will change and the event will be able to be return in a different form and venue.