Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 02-27-2013, 01:15 PM

Talking Great Smokies Clip about Acid Rain

I was watching some videos on the Appalachian Trail and came accross this so I clipped it out to share with the rest of you. Hope you like it, and how many people do you recognize? I only know 3 I'm sure some of you can name more.

Something to watch when the streams are cold and high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnu5aLhZMdA
Old 03-01-2013, 04:13 PM

Duckypaddler,

Thanks for posting this! Good info, but it ended suddenly. But at least now I know the subject is out there on Youtube and will look for more in the future. Thanks!

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 03-03-2013, 06:41 PM

Smile

Yeah it was just a clip within a program about the Appalachian Trail in 2009, hence the reason it ended suddenly.

Figured it was a good way to show the Smokies fisherman how acid rain is much worse to our fisheries than too many fisherman, or dare I say it OTTERS

Also pretty cool to see people you know working the streams, gathering the evidence to try to make sense of this complex problem, and hopefully will ultimately help us clean up the air and water more before it kills out our fisheries for future generations to be able to enjoy as much as we do.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:29 PM

Thanks for posting DP. I noticed it showed a pic of Steve and the guys walking with the shocking gear on and it said "Steve Moore crosses the Appalachian Trail to shock a stream". I wonder what stream that was so close to the AT that they had to cross over it? They probably weren't crossing the AT but that was just thrown in there for effect if I had to guess.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 03-06-2013, 08:19 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
Thanks for posting DP. I noticed it showed a pic of Steve and the guys walking with the shocking gear on and it said "Steve Moore crosses the Appalachian Trail to shock a stream". I wonder what stream that was so close to the AT that they had to cross over it? They probably weren't crossing the AT but that was just thrown in there for effect if I had to guess.
My guess was Road Prong(close enough for TV). If they went in at the top that day (doubtful) They may have technically crossed the AT at the Indian Gap parking lot
Old 03-08-2013, 10:26 AM

My thought was Double Spring Gap, but then lighting would have been a problem.

DP, thanks for sharing the link. I knew two folks. Also is that you in camo moving along the bank observing those working?
Old 03-08-2013, 11:22 AM

Smile

While I love playing in the rhodo, I'm definately not there. Obviously Steve Moore, but Matt Kulp is also there shocking. And LRO's own Bill Bolinger can be seen doing the length and weight measurements. I figured some of you would recognize some of the fisheries students.

Double Springs Gap. That will be my second night of my thru hike of the park in just a couple weeks. I bet I'll be happy when I finally get there. It will be my toughest day coming all the way from Tri-Corner.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
While I love playing in the rhodo, I'm definately not there. Obviously Steve Moore, but Matt Kulp is also there shocking. And LRO's own Bill Bolinger can be seen doing the length and weight measurements. I figured some of you would recognize some of the fisheries students.

Double Springs Gap. That will be my second night of my thru hike of the park in just a couple weeks. I bet I'll be happy when I finally get there. It will be my toughest day coming all the way from Tri-Corner.
I saw Caleb Gregory in the video also he is a great guy I enjoyed shocking bunches creek with all those guys last year and hope to do something else with them this year.

Wow James how many nights are you taking to get through the park 2 nights or 3? I am curious because I may be doing the same thing this year but I was thinking more along the lines of a leisurely 4 or 5 nights ha. Also just curious why did you choose to go from North to South?

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 03-08-2013, 06:00 PM

Smile

I'll let Dicky Betts answer your last question

Well, I'm Southbound ... Lord I'm comin' home to you
Lord, I'm Southbound, baby ... Lord I'm comin' home to you
I got that old lonesome feelin' that's sometimes called the blues

3 nights, it's all I could finagle

Original plan was Newfound to Davenport then Clingmons to Fontana one night each side, but shuttle was too hard, or too expensive to work out. Then my wife decided she would take the kids to her mothers house in Black Mountain so it was just easier for her to drop me off. Plus I figured most of the thru-hikers are Northbound.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:00 AM

Sounds like a fun trip I am jealous and can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.

Hey Jack (JAB)...