Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-13-2009, 03:20 PM

Question Instructional Videos By James and Angie Marsh

Has anyone seen James and Angie Marsh's Instructional video on Flyfishing the Smokys?
If so would it be worth showing the Kids in my school's fly fishing club.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:27 PM

I have several of James Marshes videos, they are excellent. He is a former professional Bass and Salt water fisherman who has turned to fly fishing, and leaves no stone unturned to become the best "match the hatch" fisherman possible. I read his website and this one every day. His web site taught me how to catch fish in the Smokys.
Tad
Old 12-13-2009, 11:05 PM

Thanks for to information.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:20 PM

I'm a bit put-off by the marketing hype at their site. Claims a 'PhD' in park flyfishing but only deals with dry flies?! Little streams [falls, sporadic plunge pools and/or high turbulent water-that especially in bigger watersheds] is NOT prime dry fly water. Regardless, it's a limited approach -and even contra-indicated. There's simply more food AND feeding underwater than on top. No argument with dry fly purists [fish anyway you choose], just don't claim it's the only way. I DO give him credit for making this plain up-front-saved me some money.

Granted, one may choose to throw bricks tied to a piece of poly ski rope as a means of 'fishing' -just don't claim it's the 'Phd quality method' :-). Ghost
Old 12-14-2009, 10:19 AM

Default video's

i saw the video on smoky's fishing,it's about 4+ hours long-i thought it was real good.you can tell james did lots of work getting this dvd out.its instructional,and james seems to be a nice guy,who goes over every aspect of fishing the smokys.from the start he tells you they will be dry fly fishing.its a good one to watch just as entertainment if you like gsmnp,wheather you fish or not,cause the park looks good,the streams are beautiful,and it all comes together and works because when its over you want to head for the park,rod in hand.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:20 AM

Ghost--I found your remark about taking umbrage regarding a "Ph. D. in dry fly fishing" interesting because I strongly agree. I simply feel it is impossible to reach that level of "educational" achievement when it comes to fishing for Park trout, although it may have been, as you hint, nothing more than a way of hyping a product. For my part, after 60 years of fishing Park streams, I'd like to think that maybe I've reached the kindergrten stage or maybe just a tad higher. The key to the whole matter comes in my favorite quote from Horace Kephart's writings: "In the school of the outdoors there is no graduation day." That certainly holds true when it comes to fishing for trout in the Park.
One other thought. For years I was almost exclusively a dry fly fisherman, although I would, once in a great while, dabble with nymphs. Now I almost always fish with a dry fly and nymph dropper, which gives the best of both worlds and produces more fish. I haven't done a scientific study in terms of counting numbers, but I'd guess that somewhere between 60 and 75 percent of the trout I catch come on a nymph.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 02-16-2013, 01:16 PM

Default High Value Instruction Produced by Folks Like Most of Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauxier View Post
i saw the video on smoky's fishing,it's about 4+ hours long-i thought it was real good.you can tell james did lots of work getting this dvd out.its instructional,and james seems to be a nice guy,who goes over every aspect of fishing the smokys.from the start he tells you they will be dry fly fishing.its a good one to watch just as entertainment if you like gsmnp,wheather you fish or not,cause the park looks good,the streams are beautiful,and it all comes together and works because when its over you want to head for the park,rod in hand.
I agree with all your comments, lauxier. James is indeed a "nice guy." He is one of the most encouraging and accomodating of anyone I have met in the business, especially given his credentials.

My saying "...Produced by Folks Like Most of Us," couldn't have been stated better than did Nathan Kennedy in his review on TVAngler.com of the Fly Fishing The Great Smoky Mountains National Park video.
"James and Angie are definitely not 'snobby' fly fishers. They’re both distinctly Southern, and they’re a joy to watch."
See Nathan's complete review.

Although my wife can no longer get on many of the streams, she has stayed glued to the screen whenever I watch the DVD. Now we both agree I need to locate a DVD on improving my patience , a key virtue clearly exhibited by Angie.

Fishing the Park Video Trailers:

Last edited by JoeFred; 02-16-2013 at 02:46 PM..
Old 02-16-2013, 08:42 PM

Default I am a current student of James and Angie plus many others

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Principal View Post
Has anyone seen James and Angie Marsh's Instructional video on Flyfishing the Smokys?
If so would it be worth showing the Kids in my school's fly fishing club.
I find it honorable sir that you would seek to give this knowledge in a classroom setting. I could only wish to have been exposed earlier in my life as you are inquiring.

Principal, from personal experience I can verify that they are two of the most genuine and qualified fly fishers you could meet that give more than they ever ask.

After many conversations about fly fishing that someone new could possibly seek out never was the question asked "would you be interested in purchasing" or "hype" to market anything to me.

My 10 year old expressed an interest in the sport and James took it upon himself to drive an hour, meet me and "Give" unconditionally a set of instructional videos for him to watch. Along with a set of starter flies etc.. He found the videos very interesting!!

Does it get any better than this?

I am sure if asked, not only would he provide you video but as the creator and producer along with Angie show up to your class and really give you the assistance that would have a life long impact on those we need up and coming to this sport.

If I can assist in getting your class the assistance you seek, please email me.

Regards,

Breck
Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 PM

Default going through the change

As I said,James and Angie are nice people..They put in lot's of work on their video about fishing GSMNP streams.In the last 3 years or so I've become a beleiver in nymph fishing.James goes out of his way to point out that they fish with only dry flies.That's fine,but the techniques to be learned fishing nymphs will catch you a lot more fish,especially if you tie a nymph under a dry fly,you have the best of both worlds. Last time I visited GSMNP,(in December,a few days before Christmas)I used a 10ft 4wt High Stick Drifter and Euro-ed a Large Terminal nymph with a #18 Blackbird 20 inches above the terminal nymph.No one was fishing.The water of the streams was cold and a bit high.I caught 5 nice rainbows in about an hour(On tremont) then in Little Rive I caught 2 nice trout,one was 11 inches long.Dry fly fishing is great when conditions are right.I'm all for it,but if you can half-way fish a nymph,you've go 12 months of fishing.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:26 PM

Jim, I think you and I were in the same kindergarten class together...weren't we ??