Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 02-06-2013, 08:00 PM

Default How will you TWEAK your flies this year?

Seems that after a few years here in TN chasing Dixie Trout in the tailwaters I've learned a few things and was fortunate to have a few new friends show me stuff in regards to fly patterns and selection.

Back in Maine the dry fly thing was every day, or evening, pretty much all season long and you could set your watch by the hatch... nymphing was something you did "the rest of the time".

Well I'm a decent enough nympher these MICROSCOPIC ZEBRA MIDGES have been tough on me... tough to tie with old busted fingers and ****ed near impossible to see. tying them onto the point? YIKES!

Well I do well enough with the "standard" black & red size 20 and smaller beadhead midges BUT this year I'm gonna go with some in Tan, olive and khaki, and definitely CLARET. I also expect i will add a herl collar behind the bead, perhaps a single turn and I'm thinking of a "white tuft" in front of the bead on others (something I have done without beads up in Maine when fishing midge hatches on ponds).

My bet is that the better fish have seen a million zebra midges and I want to show them something different.

On my nymphs I'm gonna add a bit more flash (I've been reluctant), incorporate more of this "ice dub" and add "hot spots" behind the bead by making a few turns of hot pink or orange thread. Might also experiment with the color blue this year and will definite use ORANGE as I did last year on many of my BHPT's. I will again play around with holographic tube mylar for wing cases on several patterns as I did last year as this was most often rewarded.

On my bunny streamers I found some new colors like green/chartruese with black tiger stripes and also a two tone in blue; these will suppliment the orange tiger bunny flies that totally rocked below Cherokee Dam last year but faired less well on the Clinch.... I will crack the code on large predatory Clinch Browns if it's the last thing I do.

I am also gonna tie up some flat wing sulphur spinners sorta like Shawn's but use Zelon for the flat wing and install a "wing case or bubble over the top of grey foam... these will CHUGGED in the eddy water, pools and side water... Shawn induces insane strikes with this method in the early morning.

My zebra midges might also get stripped quill or other body material beyond the "standard" thread body over wrapped with wire... wonder if I can get claret colored stripped peacock or maybe really fine biots that would fit the tiny hooks?

Well just a couple thoughts... perhaps you share yours?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post

I am also gonna tie up some flat wing sulphur spinners sorta like Shawn's but use Zelon for the flat wing and install a "wing case or bubble over the top of grey foam... these will CHUGGED in the eddy water, pools and side water... Shawn induces insane strikes with this method in the early morning.

Excellent Richard! I was getting some great dry fly action before the high-water period started. I like the spinner pattern with poly wings to imitate just about any dry fly. After it is tied; I flick a permanent marker (brown) through the poly to give it a variegated effect.

I like this style of dry because it helps the fly sit correctly in the water most of the time. Also; it is robust to dynamic fishing tactics.

They float great and it is amazing how quick a fish will hit when the fly lands.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-07-2013, 02:54 PM

Start soaking them in tuna, shrimp, and sardine juice overnight
Old 02-07-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
My secrete to success. Lol
Old 02-07-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Might as well sling bait.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-07-2013, 08:18 PM

Shawn,

Do you have a picture of your spinner posted somewhere? Also, what did Corbo mean by "CHUGGED?" I love learning new patterns and presentation techniques.

Pat
Old 02-08-2013, 07:24 AM

Okay; so Shawn and me were fishing the Clinch early morning at about the time of the sulphur hatch and I'm doing well with a QUASI under an indicator and he is lobbing out his flat wing spinner into any slow pool, side eddy or other fairly still water and twiching it to induce a very reactive and violent strike.

It was totally ridiculous how well his technique worked and he was "calling his shots" as in... "watch this" he would cast, chug a couple times and then "see, fish on!"

There was no doubt a spinner fall through the night with fish attracted to dying spinners that naturally twitched about on the surface; though I saw no twitching spinners at the time it was obvious the fish had been feeding on them and saw Shawn's bug as a late arrival to the buffet.

This Spring we will need to capture it on video! To me it seemed more like a small mouth bass tactic. I've caught bunches of trout on spinner imitations but always fished them as motionless as possible; after all they are SUPPOSED to be dead.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:58 PM

Hey, whatever works! I've caught fish on both dries and nymphs while picking up line at a pretty good clip. I've also found that some times, different is good. Thanks for the explanation. Can't wait to give it a try!

Pat
Old 02-08-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Add a little corn purée and you'll be set
Old 02-09-2013, 07:42 AM

Now that my vision is gone I use more material for the body so that I can see. I also don't worry too much about a wing casing. I don't notice a difference in the strike rate without it.