Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 03-06-2013, 10:40 PM

Default 6 or 7 wt?

I need some help. I'm looking to get a new rod to handle larger fish such as bass, carp, and to take on family vacation to fish from the beach one week out of each year. I'm looking for a 9' 4-pc rod. A fighting butt would be nice. To those with more experience, would a 6 or 7 wt be better suited to my needs?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:09 PM

Assuming you already have a 5 weight here but I would go with the 7 wt, especially if you are wanting to do a bit of saltwater fishing although it really depends on what species you are planning on targeting. Personally, anytime wind is possible as well as when throwing big flies, I always lean towards the heavier solution.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-06-2013, 11:25 PM

I have a glass 3 wt. a graphite 4 wt. and a glass 5. All of my fly fishing now is done for bluegill and occasionally stocked trout. Here in west Tn I don't really have an opportunity for trout so I try to make do. Would love to make a few trips east to the Smokies or even west to your new grounds David. Thanks for the reply. I'd have a lot more options to find a rod in my budget with a fighting butt going with a 7.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:26 AM

Those glass rods would be awesome in the Smokies! I have a graphite rod but it is a full flex and those mountain trout are a blast on that rod! Hope you can make it there this year or perhaps even out here to CO...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-07-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmadd View Post
I need some help. I'm looking to get a new rod to handle larger fish such as bass, carp, and to take on family vacation to fish from the beach one week out of each year. I'm looking for a 9' 4-pc rod. A fighting butt would be nice. To those with more experience, would a 6 or 7 wt be better suited to my needs?
I enjoy a 6wt for an all-purpose rod. However; I throw a 7wt with the appropriate fly line+leader type=streamers and large wet flies. I have learned the hard way that you should take the time to change your set-up to suit your fly.

If you plan on fishing lakes and ponds; I would expect you will want to throw some streamers and heavier flies. A 7wt would probably suit you better for this type of fly fishing. Also; search "spey casting" on YouTube. It is a casting technique along with a spey butt rod that allows you to cast with limited clearance from land. It looks a little silly; but, it works for many.

Have fun and keep asking questions and learning. One day; you can help spread the spirit!

to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-07-2013, 09:21 AM

My vote goes for the 7, have never owned a 6 weight & as light as the 7's are these days, you won't feel a significant weight difference.
I fish a 350 gr sink tip with rather large streamers all the time on the 7 & it handles the bushier deer hair surface flies with ease also.

Grumpy
Old 03-07-2013, 09:23 AM

Definitely buy the 7 weight; more options... for example Orvis rods come in both fresh and salt versions in this weight in terms of fighting butt.

A 7 will throw your bass stuff with far less effort; same with "beach" flies where it can be windy and you need to punch out your line.

I have broken 6 weights too many times fishing the salt; mostly when I assumed most of the stripers in an area were schoolies and then a monster strikes... Orvis has replaced one of my sixes at least five times; I'm bad.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:08 AM

Thanks for all of the replies so far. Most of my fishing will be done on lakes and ponds from both the shore and from a boat. One question I do have, will I have any difficulty trying to throw flies say around sizes 8-12 if fishing for carp in the shallows?
Old 03-07-2013, 12:15 PM

Check out the new Redington Predator in a 6wt or 7wt to see what you think since they now make 9' versions of this rod. Either one would be a nice fairly inexpensive choice for bass, carp, large streamer trout and light salt. You can throw small stuff with either rod, just scale down your tippet... and you will need to for those pesky carp.

Tight Lines,
Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 PM

With a seven weight you should have no problem throwing a 2/0 Clouser while using the appropriate leader to turn over the fly. By the same token you could also use it as a big river rod and easy throw dry flies... I like 7 weights.