Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-12-2013, 11:22 PM

It seems that on the Clinch that when it's not SULPHUR SEASON and nothing is on top for the most part the typical "strategy" is a size 20 or smaller Zebra Midge in black, red, tan or light olive/green.... or perhaps a size 20 midge dry fly.

I once fished the "conga line" in the weir pool in the early morning to see what it is all about and near everyone was repeatedly short casting with a zebra under an indicator.

Short of throwing streamers there must be something that would reliably induce a strike.... meaning an alternative food item like a scud or sculpin or perhaps just throw a larger nymph and hope to get lucky?

I will try the 16's and 18 and see what happens; thanks.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
Great, informative photos, Shawn. Thanks. It's cool you were able to do the body outline of the still very much alive caddis without disturbing it or the stream bed. I couldn't resist, friend.
It was an educational sacrifice. That caddis probably needed to upgrade his house at the time anyway. I was very surprised to see so many crawling around in the shallows.

I typically see the smaller black caddis on the upper end of the river. But; I do not usually see/notice the larger caddis in this quantity.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-13-2013, 07:55 AM

Here is my go to black fly pattern. Size 22 hook, white thread body, black fluorofibre or super hair rib, dun snowshoe hare wing and trico dubbing head. Been very successful on both the Clinch and South Holston when the fish are on black flies. Floats great, can be twitched or skated, is durable and very visible when coated with Frogs Fanny. Really been a great fly for me...
Old 03-13-2013, 01:29 PM

Default good looking bug

that is a good looking bug, is that a long, curved shank hook ?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:22 PM

No, it's just a 305 dai- riki, it's a regular dry fly hook sized like a mustard 94840.
I had the fly angled so you can see the body. The body on an adult fly is pretty fat but I haven't found that it made much difference how you tie them. I think the big head is the trigger. Size 22 seems to be the sweet spot but I've tied them bigger and smaller. Works for me like nothing else and doesn't look like anything I've seen others tie although I'm sure others do well with different patterns. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:49 AM

Default thanks billj

I may have to substitute the snowshoe hare's ear with c.d.c. Have you ever tried that ?
c.v.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:57 PM

I'm sure it would work, I use snowshoe hair intentionally on this pattern though, I think it maintains floatability better...I use cdc on a lot of my other patterns but this one really catches a lot of fish and I think it resists being slimed much better. There are times when I really don't like the maintenance Cdc needs. Black flies hatch in cloudy rainy weather a lot
and snowshoe holds up to rain better. It is also really translucent and that may play a part in its effectiveness. Snow shoe and Cdc each have their own attributes and there are some patterns that work better for me with one or the other Part of the reason I like tying flies is really refining a pattern until it does what I want it to do. You ought to try to get some snowshoe hare; I like em both!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:34 AM

Lynn;

I like your idea about "offsetting the point to the hook shank"; oddly I bought some size 16 and 18 "scud" sttle hooks recently that all had off set hook points and I have been STRAIGHTENING them! DUH!

MY "NEW" ZEBRA MIDGE RECIPE..... for anyone that wishes to tie a few.

Size 16 and smaller use regular zebra style hook with bead of choice. Black thread or whatever.

Take three or four different colored strands of KRYSTAL FLASH and tie in at rear. advance thread to head, spin the Krystal into a rope.

Secure "rope" with rotary hackle pliers so it does not unwind and wrap the body, (no need to make a tapered base layer with tying thread; just taper it with the rope.

Secure Krystal rope behind head with whip tool then coat body with Sallly Hansen high build nail polish and then spin on a little ICE DUB collar in black, olive brown, peacock or orange/rust.

The body looks incredibly VARIEGATED (spelling?) with multiple color flecks and I feel certain it will be more appealing to more fish....

OR IT MIGHT BE A TOTAL BUST.... but I don't think so.

Sorry gang but I had a brain injury in 2004 and now think more like a brown trout than a human.