Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-12-2013, 04:16 PM
NDuncan's Avatar
NDuncan NDuncan is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Knoxville, Tn
Posts: 626
Default Closed campgrounds announced

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/ma...ounds-in-2013/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:51 AM
Crockett Crockett is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 700
Default

A couple of years ago our company lost one of our larger customers and it meant a 5% loss of budget for the year, same as the GSMNP. Being a private company we couldn't afford to tell our customers we were cutting services to them since we had lost 5% of our budget. Instead we had to cut internally and what they did was basically trim out overhead costs and eliminate 401k matching, etc. till we managed to close the gap. Most private companies can't just reduce services to customers like that unless you are some kind of a monopoly.
__________________
Adam Beal

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:45 AM
NDuncan's Avatar
NDuncan NDuncan is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Knoxville, Tn
Posts: 626
Default

Yeah, nobody else in the world would get away with what they are doing. Notice half of the closures are in Blount Co. A little bit of petty retaliation from the county commission resolution, maybe?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-13-2013, 01:27 PM
mattblick's Avatar
mattblick mattblick is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Springboro, OH
Posts: 154
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
Yeah, nobody else in the world would get away with what they are doing. Notice half of the closures are in Blount Co. A little bit of petty retaliation from the county commission resolution, maybe?
I believe the petty retaliation is coming from the top of the chain, though perhaps the park superintendent is cut from the same cloth:

http://noem.house.gov/index.cfm/pres...f-87aba49cd30d

http://griffin.house.gov/sites/griff...iles/email.pdf

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...-would-notice/

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/on-the...inful-possible

The NPS is getting hit harder by the sequester than any other organization in the Department of Interior, wonder why? This is just the latest "campaign instead of running the government" publicity stunt since closing the White House tours and telling ICE to let detainees free.

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Crockett Crockett is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 700
Default

The park is in a tough position because of how Washington has handled things over the last few years. Here is a good article explaining the position the park is in, why more parks are having to put in fees and such, and it talks a lot about the GSMNP in here:

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com...lebration22900

This really opened my eyes to the bigger picture of what is going on here.
__________________
Adam Beal

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Grampus Grampus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kodak, TN
Posts: 43
Default

Like the US Post Office. They make "cuts" by eliminating hours?? Seriously?? The USPS doesn't make money unless they're conducting business! Why not cut out some of the multitude of HOLIDAYS!! The govt does anything but make meaningful, wise cuts.

It's like the lesson I learned in business class. If the govt needs to choose between cutting (a) Funding for hungry kids (b) funding for Benedict Arnold statues, which do they cut? Simple, they choose (a) because the public will demand reinstatement. If they choose (b), the public will see the waste and will not fight to get it back!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Grannyknot's Avatar
Grannyknot Grannyknot is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
The park is in a tough position because of how Washington has handled things over the last few years. Here is a good article explaining the position the park is in, why more parks are having to put in fees and such, and it talks a lot about the GSMNP in here:

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com...lebration22900

This really opened my eyes to the bigger picture of what is going on here.
Good article Crockett. Thanks for sharing it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-14-2013, 06:56 PM
whitefeather's Avatar
whitefeather whitefeather is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bean Blossom, Indiana
Posts: 357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
I believe the petty retaliation is coming from the top of the chain, though perhaps the park superintendent is cut from the same cloth:

http://noem.house.gov/index.cfm/pres...f-87aba49cd30d

http://griffin.house.gov/sites/griff...iles/email.pdf

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...-would-notice/

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/on-the...inful-possible

The NPS is getting hit harder by the sequester than any other organization in the Department of Interior, wonder why? This is just the latest "campaign instead of running the government" publicity stunt since closing the White House tours and telling ICE to let detainees free.

The pettiness comes from the top, down. The administration in the WH put out the edict to all agencies involved in the "sequestering" to, "make it hurt"! Then they will simply blame somebody else for it and garner more sympathy for their "cause". What a crock! This country is bankrupt, economically and morally.
__________________
Whitefeather

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
_________________________________________________
Blue skies, warm gentle winds, and trout filled waters to all!
(Wilu Sgis, Wami Tsenitli Winidis, Ani Tiwuti Wiledi Weitas Do Ali!)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-15-2013, 10:41 PM
JoeFred's Avatar
JoeFred JoeFred is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Russellville, TN
Posts: 944
Default

Free, letter size, inkjet printable Abrams Creek area map download. From campground to falls. More info in thread "Campground not open. However, Abrams Creek Is"
__________________
“Joe” Fred Turner :: SaintClairMapping.com

Last edited by JoeFred; 03-17-2013 at 05:30 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:19 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.