Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 PM

Default Will trout still take a dry fly that turns into a wet fly?

Someone told me that the trout won't usually take a dry fly that's wet, and is below the surface. I'm a novice fisherman so excuse this if it's a dumb question.

Do trout bite a dry fly that you are fishing as a wet fly because you haven't kept it dry?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:07 PM

They will take it very often. Usually at end of the drift but many time you can pull a dry under and a fish will take. Especially if the fish are also taking emergers.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:48 AM

I have never caught a trout on a dry that sank. Of course I dont let my dries sink too often either. If my dry begins to start sinking I change flies rather quickly because I dont catch trout when they sink.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:57 AM

They will eat them alive if you present it right!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 AM

Fly fishers tend to give trout far too much credit in terms of intelligence...

If it looks like food at a given moment trout will eat it

Our goal (or at least mine) is to fool fish with as few casts as possible; so fishing the correct "match the hatch" dry fly in "the wet zone" is not actually presenting what they seek to eat BELOW the film.

Happy "surprises" do happen though all the time as there is often no accounting for why trout eat something.... Personally I find that trout are very "picky" in terms of "hatching matching" ON the surface but willing to be less picky below the surface.... just look at the zillions of "nymph style" patterns on the internet.

My observation is that trout seek IMATATIVE BUGS on the surface and SUGGESTIVE BUGS Below the surface; todays trendy & "modern" nymph patterns look very little like "real bugs".

IMO when you consider BEADS, HOT SPOTS, SYNTHETICS, FLASH AND UNNATURAL COLORS USED ON NYMPHS BELOW THE SURFACE; fish SHOULDN'T EAT THEM, but they they do for some unknown reason.

Someday you will be dry fly fishing in a river with your line trailing out behind you in the current (and paying no attention), your fly will likely get swept under and be "trolling" down river so to speak and while you light your cigar a big fish will whack your fly even though all fly fishing "wisdom" says it should not happen...

You will play this fish to hand while your buddies watch and think you are a magnificent fly fisher and HOPE they didn't see the fish strike while you were paying no attention!

Good luck to you and ask all the "dumb" questions you want.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:22 AM

Corbo-

Well said my friend!

Bill
Old 03-14-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Someday you will be dry fly fishing in a river with your line trailing out behind you in the current (and paying no attention), your fly will likely get swept under and be "trolling" down river so to speak and while you light your cigar a big fish will whack your fly even though all fly fishing "wisdom" says it should not happen...

Yup. Happened to me and thought that I had just gotten hung up on something!

They hit dries that sink all the time! Sometimes I like to highstick a dry in a white frothy plunge pool, knowing it will get sucked under. Sometimes, a big guy will take it occasionally and if you keep the tension on it right - you'll be ready!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
If it looks like food at a given moment trout will eat it

Happy "surprises" do happen though all the time as there is often no accounting for why trout eat something

This, this and this...
All are spot on while the first point really explains the other two.

Of course a trout will potentially eat a drowned dry fly if it feels so inclined but I would focus on getting a good drag free drift first above all else. I have literally added shot to dry flies to get down to fish because that is all I had and guess what... they hit. Not ideal but presentation is key. If a dry turns into a wet but still looks like food... bingo!

Tight Lines,
Old 03-14-2013, 12:08 PM

If my dry sinks at the end of a drift, I strip it back like a steamer. Tiny strips of one to two inches. I make sure I alternate the number when I'm stripping... sometimes two sometimes one slow one sometimes four little ones... as long as it's not repetitive and unnatural looking. This can be very effective. So, the answer is yes they will!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:42 PM

When trout are eating caddis emergers, you see the fish leaping out of the water as they chase the caddis toward the surface. Caddis flies do not ride the surface as mayflies do; they jettison right through the surface and make for vegetation. When I am fishing a caddis dry pattern, I always let the bug swing under at the end of the drift and strip it back. After the bug has been dragged under it swings around and starts heading back toward the surface. On the upswing or as you are stripping it back, it appears to be a merger heading for the surface and some of the most aggressive strikes occur during this time. I have fished other patterns in this same fashion and have had good success getting strikes and catching fish. The only problem that arises is that the bug can absorb water and then you need to dry cast a few times to get it floating again. It is well worth the few dry casts, this technique catches fish. So yes, fish do eat dry fly's that become wet, you have been misinformed!