Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-26-2013, 05:05 PM

Default Cataloochee continued

Sunday was more of the same. While I had already completed a smokies slam for the trip....Sunday gave me a smokies slam for the day, all on a quill gordon dry!

The fishing was not spectacular but the company and times were great. We even got some other visitors.

Here is a picture of camp.

The plan was for Larry and I to fish Monday morning before heading out. My daughter Jessica had to leave Sunday mid day to head back to Clemson. We got up Monday morning and this is what we found:

Camp host came by and said they were looking at closing the roads, possibly for 3 days so we beat feet out of there.

John
Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 PM

Awesome report and great pics! I am headed there next week for some back country camping with my two boys. Glad to hear about the hatch. We will definitely pick up some quill gordons. Any luck with nymphs or streamers? Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 PM

We had some luck on pheasant tail nymphs, which for me have always been good in the smokies, I like the flashback version, and beadhead if I am trying to go deep. Pheasant tail soft hackle is also a good choice.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:16 PM

Awesome report... Love the cataloochie valley. I'll be headed that way in the near future for sure!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:58 PM

I love the setting in cat but I swear I've fished it a dozen times and caught nothing but fingerlings.

The setting would have you believe there are whoppers to be had, but my experience there has been anything but.

I think the reason they abandoned the old village there is that the village folk were dying of starvation by feeding on the minnow trout.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFlyFisher View Post
The setting would have you believe there are whoppers to be had, but my experience there has been anything but.:
They're in there... I've hooked up with some good ones further up from the valley.

I think the pressure on stream lends itself to a situation where a mile hike or more gets you into some better sized willing fish, but patience and stealth can lead to some whoppers down low too...
Old 03-26-2013, 11:48 PM

Very nice report and pictures from an area I haven't explored enough. Looks like a great time despite the cold start. Glad you had a good trip!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-27-2013, 10:49 AM

Good to here from you John. Great report. Nothing like a little snow to get the fish going. Glad you had a good trip. I've been thinking of heading over that way soon. How low did you fish in the system? Hope to see the Gordons make an appearence.
Lynn
Old 03-27-2013, 11:50 AM

We hiked up Palmer a mile or two on Friday with no luck. Having said that it was in the twenties Friday morning, and we did not go that far up again on this trip. The window for fishing on Saturday and Sunday was from about 1pm-5pm, with the best fishing when the Sun came out of the clouds for more than 10 minutes at a time. The Gordons were popping within about 20 minutes of the sun!
Old 03-28-2013, 08:13 AM

Smile

Great trip and report!

Thanks for taking the time to share it with the rest of us

"A snowy slam" - nice